any CNC programmers here?

kirby700
kirby700 Posts: 458
edited July 2015 in The hub
Help...

recommend me some software

The company I work for uses Pro engineer Software and we make a laminated walls which are shaped on the CNC machines. Currently we send Step files to the programmers but we have to Dumb the assembly down as they use ALPHACAM and it cannot cope with the different layers of construction.

Has anyone got experience of any better 3d step file CNC software as frankly the one we use is crap.

Thanks
GIANT XTC 2.5
BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    We use AlphaCAM and it's fine with very complex shapes.
    Either your programmer isn't very good, your step files are getting corrupted or you are trying to design something your machines can't cope with.
    Is there anything in particular it's failing on?
    We used to use Pro-E until we were bought out and given Solidworks and NX. I would never consider going back to Pro-E. Until you use something different you don't realise how out dated, un-user friendly and unstable it is.
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    I was trying to clever by simply saving the assembly of parts as a step file out and send to programmers but for some reason it keeps opening the step as a surface model. I've opened the step file in solidworks (2015) as I have a license too and its a solid not a surface so rather confused.
    I know Pro-e is not the best but were that imbedded in it I'm not sure theres a way out (long term maybe but short tern NO WAY)
    The geometry we send out is a copy of assembled parts and I feel its wrong to send out this rather than the assembly.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA