Novatec 771/772

stavgold
stavgold Posts: 61
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
If you are looking to build some disc wheels you can get a great deal on a pair of Novatec 771/772 hubs for £60 including delivery from cyclingdeal.com . I was a little bit worried ordering from an Australian company but they came in 10 days and could be tracked. Thought they may have been fitted with cheaper bearings but they come with SKFs . I've got a pair of pacenti sl25 rims from cycleclinic. Just waiting on the alpina spokes. Total build will be £225.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    If you are looking to build some disc wheels you can get a great deal on a pair of Novatec 771/772 hubs for £60 including delivery from cyclingdeal.com . I was a little bit worried ordering from an Australian company but they came in 10 days and could be tracked. Thought they may have been fitted with cheaper bearings but they come with SKFs . I've got a pair of pacenti sl25 rims from cycleclinic. Just waiting on the alpina spokes. Total build will be £225.

Novatec are fitted with EZO not SKF bearings.

SKF are marked on the outer race, rather than the rubber seal like other bearings
    left the forum March 2023
  • stavgold
    stavgold Posts: 61
    I need glasses. I've had a closer look and they are NBK bearings. I obviously saw the K and assumed they were SKF. What's the quality like of NBK bearings.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I need glasses. I've had a closer look and they are NBK bearings. I obviously saw the K and assumed they were SKF. What's the quality like of NBK bearings.

People seem to be convinced that good bearings make the difference. What makes the difference is exceptional tolerances. If the tolerances are not right, even the beast bearings don't last, as the load is not spread correctly. IME the old 712 hub was very well designed and even budget bearings lasted years, while the 772 is not and bearings last a few months
    left the forum March 2023