Which Compact Crank

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm after a Hollowtech compatible compact crank for the occasions I take my Foil into the Ardennes. Needs to be compatible with my Stages PM. I'm thinking going 105-grade because it really isn't that often I go and the extra bit of weight doesn't matter too much. I'm running 10-speed Ultegra on the bike. From what I can gather, 11-speed chain rings will work fine with a 10-speed chain (correct?). Is there an advantage to the 11-sp crank (I'm assuming it's lighter)? Any other options - I'm just a bit overwhelmed by the options.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I'm after a Hollowtech compatible compact crank for the occasions I take my Foil into the Ardennes. Needs to be compatible with my Stages PM. I'm thinking going 105-grade because it really isn't that often I go and the extra bit of weight doesn't matter too much. I'm running 10-speed Ultegra on the bike. From what I can gather, 11-speed chain rings will work fine with a 10-speed chain (correct?). Is there an advantage to the 11-sp crank (I'm assuming it's lighter)? Any other options - I'm just a bit overwhelmed by the options.

Correct. I run Ultegra 11sp chainset with my otherwise 10 speed setup, works fine.

The 105 chainset is a decent option because it's relatively cheap although you could likely argue until the cows come home as to if that price is worthwhile over getting whatever else.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337

Correct. I run Ultegra 11sp chainset with my otherwise 10 speed setup, works fine.

The 105 chainset is a decent option because it's relatively cheap although you could likely argue until the cows come home as to if that price is worthwhile over getting whatever else.

Thanks - yes, the price bit is always a question. I've just always considered 105 to be a bit of a benchmark of functionality after which many of the gains are down to weight. That's a gross generalisation, I know, but whenever I've bought Tiagra I've thought I can really see why it's cheaper. If I'm going to do anything properly serious in the hills, I'd grab my Volagi from Scotland but a weekend in the Ardennes doesn't warrant that. For the same reason, I find it hard to justify anything more than 105. What's also nice is that a nice wide cassette for the hills paired with a compact crank works fine with the same chain that I use on a Std double and 12-23 for the rest of the time.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Is there an advantage to the 11-sp crank (I'm assuming it's lighter)? Any other options - I'm just a bit overwhelmed by the options.

The stiffness of the rings is supposed to be a lot better with the 5800 chainset, compared to 5700. If you compare them side by side, it's not hard to see why. To my eyes, the 5800 item also looks a lot nicer.