West Midlands Express

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I know that feeling!

Only the Coventry road out of Warwick and the Kenilworth road from Kenilworth towards Coventry are 'main roads' but both have offroad cycle lanes (once you are out the edge of the towns anyway), but if you want the extra mileage then some of the other sections should suite you fine, sound's like the Greenway would suite you down to the ground. To be honest you have lots of choices for that route so can mix them up a bit if you want to, nothing there is 'nasty' so you'll soon find 2/3 routes you like. You also have the option of taking Hollis Lane/Crackley Lane from Kenilworth and coming into Campus from the opposite direction. The only bit I don't like is the Kenilworth road as the cyclepath is pretty poor.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    Solihull?

Looks very good, everything you need, properties are cheaper and bigger and nicer, commuting is 13 miles to the Uni... apparently best place to live in the UK... any catch?
    left the forum March 2023
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,691
    Solihull?

Looks very good, everything you need, properties are cheaper and bigger and nicer, commuting is 13 miles to the Uni... apparently best place to live in the UK... any catch?
    It's a long way from the coast?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ugo.santalucia
    Solihull?

It's a long way from the coast?

Ah, haven't thought about that... :wink:
  • The Rookie
    'squalidhole'? Some parts are nice, others rather rough, like almost anywhere else, Balsall common is nice.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Solihull?

I work in Solihull. (that could be the catch!!)

It's a nice little town, never see much trouble, you are much more likely to bump into pensioners than yooths! Definitely worth a look!

I live in Meriden, and there was some crazy old rich guy who missed the coast so he made his own beach so you won't be from from the 'coast'!! It used to be open to the public but i'm not sure if it is anymore!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • ugo.santalucia
    'squalidhole'? Some parts are nice, others rather rough, like almost anywhere else, Balsall common is nice.

I think we differ... someone mentioned Kenilworth was nice and having been there, it tops the list of depressing places in the area by a long mile.

Balsall common is as big as a nutmeg and there is nothing... I am not looking for a rural setting... no kids no good schools, these are of no interest to us
  • chris_bass
    I'd agree, Balsall common is more of a big village really.

Solihull is nice, but stick to actually Solihull town, the places around it (shirley, acocks green etc) aren't great really.
  • ugo.santalucia

Solihull is nice, but stick to actually Solihull town, the places around it (shirley, acocks green etc) aren't great really.

Couple of viewings sorted for tomorrow very near the town centre...
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    Chris Bass wrote:

+1

I always thought Solihull town was a bit posh really. That's coming from a Black Country perspective though :P
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • chris_bass

Couple of viewings sorted for tomorrow very near the town centre...

Solihull is nice, there isn't a huge amount to do (aside from the usual shops, cinemas etc) but it's very close to Birmingham and the NEC so you don't have to go far to find something!
  • ugo.santalucia
    It is official... Solihull is nice... unlike Leamington and Warwick it seems a place where people actually get on with their life, rather than waiting for tourists to kick start the party.
    Right balance between leafiness and consumerism and traffic appears to be bearable

Place chosen, now down to finding a property... the female part of the business and the most tedious... :roll:
  • chris_bass
    Traffic? What's that??

Glad you liked it,it's a good place to live,and you should be able to pick out a nice commute to the uni from there.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Traffic? What's that??

Glad you liked it,it's a good place to live,and you should be able to pick out a nice commute to the uni from there.

Various route between 12-13 miles, which is a good distance
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Leamington is nice. You'll be able to ride with Vtec, isn't he from around there?

Oh, that's exciting!

I have brokered placements for several students from Warwick although I don't venture much into leamington. I agree though, not exciting that I lived localism to your new place, I've almost moved myself but wish you well. :wink:
    Living MY dream.
  • Tried the commute in this morning Solihull to Warwick Uni... beautiful sunshine... as soon as you leave the main B4101 road, the lanes are very quiet and rural, almost traffic free. 12 miles and 45 minutes door to door, kind of the perfect commute in many ways :D

3 Sets of lights in total... in London I counted 87 at the time for the same distance... :lol:
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Tried the commute in this morning Solihull to Warwick Uni... beautiful sunshine... as soon as you leave the main B4101 road, the lanes are very quiet and rural, almost traffic free. 12 miles and 45 minutes door to door, kind of the perfect commute in many ways :D

3 Sets of lights in total... in London I counted 87 at the time for the same distance... :lol:

Jealous - I have sections where you get 3 lights in about 100 yards. And they seem to be timed just to annoy. Great weather for a new commute - see it in the best light before the autumn breezes and rain.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Leamington is not nice, Stratford is nice (I am currently looking for work in the area and am moving to stratford to get away from the big smoke), I have spent time in Leamington, Warwick coventry and Stratford over the last year.

I have been up a few times (well every weekend) and i cant wait to move there permenantly, lets take our london centric ways to warwickshire.

Stratford's a bit of a crap hole IMO. And I'm not talking about the London Stratford (that's a lot of a crap hole).

Stratford is one of those places that loads of tourists go to and I tend to feel apologetic that so many foreigners are going to such an iconic place but which must be ultimately so disappointing. Worst of both worlds really - not very attractive but clogged with tourists. I'd prefer Leamington.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Good luck with the new job and enjoy the commute!
  • Good luck with the new job and enjoy the commute!

Thanks!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    My grandparents used to live near Solihull, put me right off the place.
    Hope the job goes well. Johnny in the office asked where to get some wheels now.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    My grandparents used to live near Solihull, put me right off the place.
    Hope the job goes well. Johnny in the office asked where to get some wheels now.
    Arup Sen is my Ugo endorsed local now.

If Goldtec ever deliver the sodding hubs :roll:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I don't know anyone personally... I did have an email exchange with Noble wheels ahead of rebuilding a Zipp and Jonathan seemed helpful and knowledgeable...
    I don't know Arup Sen personally, but he gets raving reviews from the LFGSS crowd and seems very knowledgeable too... also a fair bit cheaper than Noble wheels
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I don't know anyone personally... I did have an email exchange with Noble wheels ahead of rebuilding a Zipp and Jonathan seemed helpful and knowledgeable...
    I don't know Arup Sen personally, but he gets raving reviews from the LFGSS crowd and seems very knowledgeable too... also a fair bit cheaper than Noble wheels

Uh huh, uh huh.

Personally endorsed by Ugo I say.

(I did read around too ;))
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • chris_bass
    welcome to Solihull, just to warn you, it isn't always sunny!
  • welcome to Solihull, just to warn you, it isn't always sunny!

Thanks, we should go for a ride sometime, so you can show me a few lanes... :wink:
  • welcome to Solihull, just to warn you, it isn't always sunny!

Thanks, we should go for a ride sometime, so you can show me a few lanes... :wink:
    It was certainly nice and sunny today back from Coventry to Solihull - I had a very nice (extended) ride home
  • The Rookie
    Tried the commute in this morning Solihull to Warwick Uni... beautiful sunshine... as soon as you leave the main B4101 road, the lanes are very quiet and rural, almost traffic free. 12 miles and 45 minutes door to door, kind of the perfect commute in many ways :D

Will look out for you, but presumably you enter the Uni at he security roundabout and as I enter via the Gibbet Hill campus I doubt our routes will cross.
  • A few thoughts after 6 hours of riding in the West Midlands: road surface is generally very good, with the exception of some rutted minor lanes... traffic is very low, even at rush hour and drivers are well behaved... haven't come across any nasty assxxxe yet...
    Even rain "is not as wet" as down south, much more bearable with no traffic... :D

Don't fancy the B4101 between Knowle and Balsall common too much, especially the twisty section, but I have found a better route via Eastcote and Barston
  • A few thoughts after 6 hours of riding in the West Midlands: road surface is generally very good, with the exception of some rutted minor lanes... traffic is very low, even at rush hour and drivers are well behaved... haven't come across any nasty assxxxe yet...
    Even rain "is not as wet" as down south, much more bearable with no traffic... :D

Don't fancy the B4101 between Knowle and Balsall common too much, especially the twisty section, but I have found a better route via Eastcote and Barston

What trashes London/Surrey roads is traffic and the amount of services under them. Round my parents place in Breacon beacons the roads get rough but not so many deep potholes etc.