Loud freehub

moefoemil
moefoemil Posts: 254
edited July 2015 in Workshop
Hi,
The freehub on my bike seems to "click" quite loudly when freewheeling. I know all different free hubs make different noises but compared to my other 2 bikes it seems a lot louder. I bought the wheels secondhand so don't know if it has always been like this. I fitted new bearings in the Novatec hubs and greased everything up, the wheels themselves run fine and there's no play or anything.
So, I guess what I'm asking is, is there anything I can do to make it quieter or is it normal and just one of those things I'll have to learn to live with.
Sorry for the long windedness :roll:
Cheers. Gaz
Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    One of those things.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You can silence things a bit by using a slightly thicker lube on the freehub pawls. But don't go squirting grease in there; it can dry out and the pawls then stick.
  • Rightarmbad
    Rightarmbad Posts: 216
    Put some 'Slick Honey' in there.
    It will almost silence most freehubs but slowly gets louder as it is pushed out of the way of the pawls.
    Clean, repeat application when necessary.

It will not make the freehub skip or slip, but will require more maintenance to keep quiet than just simply putting proper oil in there and living with the noise.

I do one of my road bikes with it so that when I sneak out of the house at 5am, I don't wake the neighbourhood up.

Also the goto lube for anything suspension and dropper posts......

It's a bit expensive for small size tubs though.