Clipless Pedals

steelo
steelo Posts: 542
edited July 2015 in MTB buying advice
I currently ride using basic shimano SPD's but I want to try a set that give me more lateral float, hopefully taking some strain off my knee with my foot being fixed in one position. I remember being told quite a few years ago that the Time Attack pedals had a better amount of lateral float and used the same cleats. Is this still good information? Are there any alternatives that will give more lateral float?
Specialized Rockhopper '07
Trek Fuel EX8 '09

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Crank Brothers - same fabulously floaty cleat in a variety of pedal arrangements depending on how much pedal you want surrounding your engagement point.

Eggbeater if you want none at all and just want a four-sided pedal with ultra easy engagement, loads of float, massive mud clearance etc.

Candy if you want a little more metalwork around the engagement

Mallet if you want a proper platform around the engagement.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Which Shimano cleat, Sh51 or SH56?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    You may be using the same shimano pedals as me - the 520s which were cheap as chips. So the job just fine, although I've just bought some really old school red dx spd platforms off eBay that I intend to strip and respray to match my bike.

I used to have time atac (about 10-15 years ago) and loved them. Think there is a set on ebay in green and grey identical at the moment. Might be worth trying to grab them on the cheap to try out. They have a lot more float naturally and think you can run the cleats in 2 ways (by moving left cleat to right foot) for varying release angles.

They work amazingly in the mud - way better than the shimano pedals I've owned. Just didn't see any going cheap before I bought shimano ones this time. They use completely different cleats to shimano ones though - they aren't interchangeable - although they can use the same shoes.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    got my second pair oftime atac pedals in 20 years about 4 months ago from biker-discount.de much cheaper than uk shops
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    I have the cheap non-sealed bearing SPDs. I might see if the LBS has some Time Attack or Candy pedals fitted to an MTB I can try. I always assumed the Crankbrothers pedals were very tight and only for experienced riders - sounds like they might suit me better now!
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09