Thicker tyres

Yizi
Yizi Posts: 7
edited July 2015 in MTB beginners
Stupid beginner question but is it possible to add a thicker tyre or a fat bike tyre to a normal mountain bike or does the fork needs to be changed? ... :?:

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You can only fit tyres that will fit your frame and fork with a tad of clearance for when the tyres roll and deform.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You of course mean wider and not thicker tyres, and yes you can within the limits of the frame and forks, fatbike tyres will be too big for nearly all frames and forks though.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yizi
    Thanks for the info so what is the widest you can go on a Vulcan 2015? I cannot see it on the spec..
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It's trial and (error).

I'd ask what are you trying to achieve by going wider - it doesn't mean better across the board.
  • Yizi
    I'm gonna be honest I think I got the wrong type of bike to begin with for where I bike, mainly sand and mud so when we go riding with my mate my bike always sinks and they all have big tyres so they easily go pass.. but I'm gonna go down and check some tyre sizes and see what can be done.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can get a 2.25" on both ends of a 26" Vulcan, not sure about the 27".

See what tyres you have now, look at the clearance all round the tyre (a wider tyre is taller as well) and see what will fit.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.