Adjust derailleur to line up

mjw123
mjw123 Posts: 61
edited July 2015 in Workshop
Hi,

While replacing my chain i noticed i felt my derailleur was slightly out of line. On the pic below instead of lining up with the cog on the cassette it was leaning to the left slightly at the top. This is a view with the bike upside down to see the issue.

2015-07-13%2020.45.21_zpsl71fbwqs.jpg

Which out the screws do i adjust to move it over slightly to the right to bring it in line ?

2015-07-13%2020.45.44_zpsgdsfpzal.jpg

If it makes any difference i'ts 105 components

tia,
Mike.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Picture in the big cig directly from the rear.

Can't see anything from those pictures. But you might have bent the hanger.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • It looks to me like the hanger is a bit bent, in which case no amount of adjusting the derailleur will give you smooth shifting across the whole cassette.

If, however, it is straight and the camera is just making it look wonky, to answer your original question - you don't adjust either screw. The two screws are to set the limits of how far the derailleur can move in and out (typically labelled L and H for Low and High). What you want to be adjusting is the barrel adjuster (the big blank thing with four "wings" that the cable passes through.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited July 2015
    First you should check if the hanger is tight on the frame and wheel is seated properly.

The screws will limit the travel the derailluer can move at either end of the cassette. They are not for adjusting the derailleur angle.

Are the gears running smoothly or making any noise ?

Try putting the chain on the smallest cog and adjust the 'high limit' screw so that the upper jockey (closest to the cassette) lines up with the smallest cog.
  • mjw123
    mjw123 Posts: 61
    Thanks guys - the gears are not silky smooth but still useable.

To rule out the hanger out first what do i adjust to get it as tight as possible ? - the wheel seems seated pretty well.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Hangers are usually attached by 2 small hex bolts. Remove the wheel and look inside the drop out. They are usually pretty small so you need to be careful you don't strip the hex bolts by tightening them to much. Just turn them very gently not too much! :) Just nip them up. IF they are loose.