2014 Boxxer Issue

dirtjump
dirtjump Posts: 1,289
edited July 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hiya

I recently did a full lowers service on my boxxers, they were due so it made sense, apparently its a 10 min job, or so I thought....

Stripped the lowers off fine, drained the old oil and gave them a good clean. Rebuilt and greased using this the correct volumes (as per Sram tables) and went for a ride. Forks felt amazing, proper smooth. Put the bike away, didnt ride it for a month, took it out and the forks felt gash. As you pushed down they slowly seized and became very sticky / notchy. Went for a ride thinking the oil just needed to be splashed around and get going again but the problem remained. Stripped and re-greased / oiled and the problem still remains. Have checked the damper rod, moves fine, same with the spring side, so the issue is with the lowers and is either the bushing or seals.

Have some new seals turned up tomorrow and plan to do (another) full degrease and strip. I think the grease I used the first time around is wrong. My big worry is that I have contaminated the bushes by using the wrong grease and these are now nailed. This issue is exhaserbated by the fact I am going to the alps at the end of month and am running out of time to send them to TF (if required) to get new bushings

Has anyone done this before? I admit it wasnt "proper" fork grease but figured so long as it wasnt lithium based this wouldnt be an issue, turns out I was wrong! Is it possible to knacker a bush with just grease alone?

There are no score marks or damage in the dampers, stanchions or bushes from what I can see
<center>U to the SMBC</center>
<center>Trendy pictures</center>
<center>Meet the family

Everything I have ever said on here gets ignored
</center>

Comments