Best mid-range Shimano 10 speed shifter - Zee v. SLX

codfather
codfather Posts: 359
edited July 2015 in MTB buying advice
Morning all,

I'm starting to miss the silence and simplicity of a 1x10 setup now that I have 1x9 with a tensioner on my trail bike, so I'm weighing up options for a new drivetrain. I'd like to go with a Zee mech, as I hear nothing but good things about them and I'm not too fond of the way my SLX has worn through use. My current dilemma is which shifter to pair it with. I'm not massively flush for cash, so XTR and Saint are out of contention, so I'm currently assessing the pros and cons of SLX, Zee and XT. The way I see it

Zee
    Designed for DH>designed to be tougher>more reliable
    Relatively inexpensive
    Available as a single unit
    Reviews and opinions of friends suggest the movement is quite wooden and the plastic a bit cheap

SLX/XT
    Low maintenance
    Very agreeable shifting
    Usually only available in pairs (already have 2 unused front shifters, don't really want another)
    Indicator window limits mounting options, blanking plate not included with SLX, not sure about XT?

What's everyone's opinion on Zee and how do you rate it by comparison with SLX?
Current fleet
2015 Transition Scout
2012 Nukeproof Scalp
2016 Genesis Latitude
2012 Transition Double
2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
2017 Fly Proton
???? Create Polo Bike

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Not used zee but my SLX shifter has been faultless. If you're using shimano I spec brakes then the I spec SLX shifter has no window.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    boy has Zee, I have SLX can't tell the difference between them. if you want an optical display get SLX, if not get the cheapest
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I'm going to go outside of the box here and suggest XT. With XT you can make multiple down shifts in one go, unlike Zee and SLX
  • codfather
    If you're using shimano I spec brakes then the I spec SLX shifter has no window.

Cracking suggestion there. No shift window, cleaner bars and the rail to adjust positioning. To cap it all off it's available in rear only as well. New front runner there. I shall go and inspect my brakes when it stops p***ing it down.
    I'm going to go outside of the box here and suggest XT. With XT you can make multiple down shifts in one go, unlike Zee and SLX

XT would be very nice, it's just the price that puts me off. I don't know about Zee, but you can definitely multiple downshift with SLX.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    If you're using shimano I spec brakes then the I spec SLX shifter has no window.

Cracking suggestion there. No shift window, cleaner bars and the rail to adjust positioning. To cap it all off it's available in rear only as well. New front runner there. I shall go and inspect my brakes when it stops p***ing it down.

They're currently under £20 at wiggle, I struggled to find them when searching on their site but googling SLX rear shifter seems to bring it up in the shopping section. They also state I spec B yet mine came with extra parts that I presume are for I spec A (shimano tech docs seems to back it up with too)
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    XT would be very nice, it's just the price that puts me off. I don't know about Zee, but you can definitely multiple downshift with SLX.

I'm sure you can buy xt shifters separately which would lower the cost, that german bike discount place might have the rear shifter for a good price?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    XT worth the extra for me, less slop in the levers, less plasticky, smoother feel.
  • codfather
    Hmmm plenty of convincing arguments here for the XT too. XT is the one groupset I have never used, so those who've used SLX and XT, would you say the performance justifies a 40% increase in price? (£28 vs £20)
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    If it's only £8 more then I'd go for the XT. I've got an ispec XT shifter on the right for my rear mech and a deore shifter on the left for my front mech. One clamp looks much better than the three (also got a lockout for the forks) on the other side.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    For £8, a great upgrade over the SLX. Much more difference than the rear mech makes.
  • codfather
    Thanks for all the advice chaps, placed an order for a Zee mech and I Spec B XT shifter
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike