Buying my first bike

payanak212
payanak212 Posts: 3
edited July 2015 in MTB buying advice
I am new to the sport of mountain biking and have been searching for a decent bike to buy. Quality and value for money along with minimal maintenance are more of a priority that price. I am a big guy at around 105kg and athletic so expect to apply quite a bit of force on the bike. I would really like to hear the opinion of those much more knowledgeable than myself regarding how suitable the Trek superfly 8 2015 would be for me;

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/cross_country/superfly/superfly_8/

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What sort of riding?

That is a very focused XC race bike, its not the easiest bike to learn the sport on.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mostly road and trail riding with some off road biking too. I'm in Asia and there is not such a wide variety of bikes available to me. From what I've seen its mostly low end bikes or top end carbon frame, very few mid range bikes.

What appeals to me about the superfly 8 is that it is lightweight, SLX, tubeless tires.
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    Press fit BB would put me off and £1500 seems like a lot for an aluminium hardtail with SLX

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it comes with tubeless tyres on tubeless rims, but set up conventionally. It doesn't arrive set up tubeless.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Which part of Asia?

I'm a regular on the Indian sub-continent and know how hard it can be. Most markets you can get Merida's which are always worth a look.

This may suite your riding better http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/cross_country/x_caliber/x_caliber_9/
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • m00nbadger
    m00nbadger Posts: 53
    I've got a superfly 6. its great. wouldn't say I was a serious XC'er but typically ride XC trails, some trail centres and a fair bit of light off-road/road locally

pretty lightweight and responsive handling

im not seriously into XC, and its the first mountain bike since I was a kid with a carrera, but its definitely aimed towards that market as rookie says

defintely expensive at list price though, picked mine up at the end of last summer on sale

that x-cal paint job though is just lovely though!