Felt Z75 vs Fuji Sportif 1.1 D

bss91
bss91 Posts: 5
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I'm considering a new bike purchase as I'm starting to commute to work a bit more often and do a few longer cycles (commute is 60 mile round trip).

I've been looking at two bikes, the Felt Z75 Disc (£850) and the Fuji Sportif 1.1 D (£800). Generally been looking at bikes in the £500-£1000 range and have narrowed it down to these two. Planning to get a bike with disc brakes for better performance in the wet, as there are a few long hills on my route and the reduction in braking performance is noticeable with standard brakes.

The bikes seem to be very similar in terms of spec, with aluminium frames and carbon forks, Shimano 105 group set etc.

Can anyone advise as to which is likely to be the best option?!

Thanks!

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    They are nearly identical specs. I'd probably choose the Felt because of the Shimano chainset / Hollowtech 2 bottom bracket vs Oval chainset / BB86 pressfit BB on the Fuji. (For ease of DIY more than anything else)

Maybe somebody with experience could say which of the disc braking systems is best; TRP Spyres on the Felt vs Avid BB7s on the Fuji??

I also prefer the Felt colour scheme :D
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Speaking as someone who had a Sportif 1.1 (2014) model and upgraded from Avid BB5s to Spyres, get the Felt ;-)

The Spyres are better brakes, mainly because they require less on-going adjustment to keep them in peak condition - they also avoid the issue whereby the avids can seize, making such adjustment impossible.

I would caution on both of them that if you happen to be relatively short legged and long bodied as I am, both of these bikes are quite upright so won't necessarily feel that nippy, depending on what you're used to - you might be better with a cyclocross bike that you fit road tyres to, as they tend to have more aggressive geometry - I ended up buying a Kinesis crosslight frame and swapping everything over.
  • keef66
    Cross bike is a good suggestion if you need a racier position. Virtually all come with disk brakes now. If for commuting, make sure it will take mudguards if you want them (some pared back CX racing frames have no mounts for guards / racks / bottle cages)

Or something tough and multipurpose like the Planet X London Road?
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    that fuji's head tube is rathr excessive. must be like riding a farm gate.
  • bss91
    Thanks all, appreciate your advice.

Out of the two think it will be the Felt then. That was my favoured one anyway!

However, I'm going to look into some other options as suggested too. The Planet X London looks interesting so will definitely have a closer look at that!

As for riding position, I think I prefer a more upright position anyway. I've been riding a Bianchi 1885 recently and don't find it as comfortable as the Specialized I was riding before; I think it has a more aggressive geometry and I just haven't found it as nice to ride...that said, maybe it would just take some getting used to first.
  • bss91
    Just out of interest, can anyone advise on how different I'd find 35mm tyres compared to 23mm?

I wouldn't say I'm a particular fast rider so any marginal speed gains from the narrower tyres won't bother me. But is there likely to be a noticeable difference?
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Just out of interest, can anyone advise on how different I'd find 35mm tyres compared to 23mm?

I wouldn't say I'm a particular fast rider so any marginal speed gains from the narrower tyres won't bother me. But is there likely to be a noticeable difference?

The 35mm tyres will be massively more comfy, but assuming they are both good quality slick tyres the speed difference should be marginal - perhaps 1 or 2 mph slower over good roads, on bad (lets be honest, UK) roads the difference will be less than that, perhaps nothing, extending to a speed benefit for the 35mm tyres on terrible roads.

You will notice that the 35mm take a little longer to get up to speed, but they should keep speed better on the flat. Going uphill will be slightly harder work on the 35mm.
  • keef66

As long as you don't pump them up rock hard you'd definitely notice a difference. I find 25mm tyres a lot more comfortable than 23s because of the larger volume / lower pressure. 35s would give even more in that respect so I'd expect the ride to be rather plush, possibly at the expense of slightly higher rolling resistance.
  • bss91
    Sounds good...definitely making me rethink things and will look at other cyclocross options. Definitely keen to get something a bit more comfortable.