Fuelling

Yost
Yost Posts: 56
edited July 2015 in Road beginners
I am training for Ride London and getting a bit confused about how I should be fuelling on the longer rides (and on the day of course). I use High5 Energy Source in my water bottles which I believe is supposed to provide sufficient carbs if i get through a bottle an hour. However, during a ride I also need to eat, but if I am consuming things like flapjacks, jam sandwiches, fig rolls etc, am I exceeding the carb levels, which I understand can cause problems like cramping. Would I be better just having water with electrolyte tablets in, and eating food for the carbs?

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Don't overcomplicate it. It's just a bicycle ride, whatever the likes of enervit and High5 might try to convince you of.

Are you getting hungry and mentally tired on your training rides? Then you might not be eating enough. Are you feeling bloated, heavy and sleepy? Then you might be eating too much. Everyone is different so you have to make a note of how you went over your last ride and adjust accordingly for your next one.

To be honest a big breakfast will probably take you to the halfway mark without having to eat a thing.

Personally I prefer to eat real food, so I would take a couple of bananas and maybe a slice of fruit CAIK on this event, but I don't like drinking plain water so I stick with Tesco blackcurrant squash. Can't abide gels and energy drink...ugh.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • HertsG
    HertsG Posts: 129
    You will need to experiment and find what suits you.

I've usually gone for a load of flapjack in my pocket and High5 drink in my bottles. As you have identified, others prefer bananas, jam sarnies or a McD en-route.

For me, I find that energy gels upset my innards but many will swear that they couldn't ride without them.

If it's a hot day, ensure that you drink enough.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Big bowl of porridge for breakfast. Dilute squash with a bit of salt in bottles, fig rolls in one pocket and a bag of jelly babies in the other. Little and often with all three and I can keep going all day.

More importantly, make sure you pace yourself so you finish comfortably.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    See, porridge does nothing for me. Don't know why. I will be ravenous by 35 miles whether I have porridge or not.

A couple of sausages and fried eggs for breakfast - now you're talking.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    See, porridge does nothing for me. Don't know why. I will be ravenous by 35 miles whether I have porridge or not.

A couple of sausages and fried eggs for breakfast - now you're talking.

The extra protein in the sausage and eggs will definitely keep you feeling fuller for longer. I've always got on well with porridge. 'Orses for courses innit? One man's meat etc. Only you can know what works for you. Given the time I'd start with fruit juice, a modest bowl of porridge or possibly bircher muesli, a small fry-up, then finish with a couple of rounds of toast and marmalade, all washed down with 2 cups of a strongish breakfast blend tea. Now that would keep me going for quite a while :D
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I am training for Ride London and getting a bit confused about how I should be fuelling on the longer rides (and on the day of course). I use High5 Energy Source in my water bottles which I believe is supposed to provide sufficient carbs if i get through a bottle an hour. However, during a ride I also need to eat, but if I am consuming things like flapjacks, jam sandwiches, fig rolls etc, am I exceeding the carb levels, which I understand can cause problems like cramping. Would I be better just having water with electrolyte tablets in, and eating food for the carbs?

What's worked for you in training? tbh I would just eat whatever you like at the rest stops, personally having an entire cake doesn't give me any problems, but then I do like cake!
  • Yost
    Thanks for comments. I did an 80 mile training ride today and got around ok. I had 4 bottles of water, 2 of these with electrolyte tablets only, 2 with Energy Source. For food I had porridge and a banana before I went out, and during the ride I had a flapjack, and at 50 miles I stopped for a coffee and had a jam sandwich! I also had 4 energy gels 2 with caffeine). Didn't feel bloated or ever felt hungry. Last 20 miles were tough but I think this is mental as last 20 is tough even if I am doing 50! Guess it is best I stick with this approach for the 100 miles - my theory is if I can do 80 solo, I should be able to do 100 with others around me!
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Thanks for comments. I did an 80 mile training ride today and got around ok. I had 4 bottles of water, 2 of these with electrolyte tablets only, 2 with Energy Source. For food I had porridge and a banana before I went out, and during the ride I had a flapjack, and at 50 miles I stopped for a coffee and had a jam sandwich! I also had 4 energy gels 2 with caffeine). Didn't feel bloated or ever felt hungry. Last 20 miles were tough but I think this is mental as last 20 is tough even if I am doing 50! Guess it is best I stick with this approach for the 100 miles - my theory is if I can do 80 solo, I should be able to do 100 with others around me!

Your theory is right, having others around will make a huge difference both physically and mentally.

I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to eating whilst riding...no gels/powders etc. Quite happy to stop for something to eat, but then I'm no longer training to race, just riding. Sometimes take a few jam n peanut butter sandwiches or ham or cheese or whatever. It's nice to have something savoury as well as all the sweet stuff, especially on a long ride.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    That's quite a lot for an 80 mile ride, well for me at least. I'd save some cash and dump the Energy powder/gels and stick to flapjacks and jam sandwiches.

On a recent 70 miler I started with a bowl of muesli and had a bacon roll (with coffee) and two Naked bars en-route. Much more enjoyable o consume than gel and powder.
  • Yost
    That's quite a lot for an 80 mile ride, well for me at least. I'd save some cash and dump the Energy powder/gels and stick to flapjacks and jam sandwiches.

On a recent 70 miler I started with a bowl of muesli and had a bacon roll (with coffee) and two Naked bars en-route. Much more enjoyable o consume than gel and powder.

In fairness I eat and drink a lot all the time (even though I'm 6ft tall but only 11 stone). I think I will stick with my current regime at this stage, but next year might look at ditching the Energy Source. The gels I only really tried on the last ride, not sure if they do anything or if it is just a placebo effect.
  • It's a personal thing in terms of what you like, what you can keep down and how much you need.

For an 80 mile ride I'd have a bottle of made-up sport drink in my cage (although I tend to dilute it a bit more than the directions say) plus 3 or 4 fig rolls in one pocket and a couple of small peanut butter sandwiches in another.

I have tried gels but they made me gag when going down and repeated on me afterwards.
  • blackpoolkev
    blackpoolkev Posts: 474
    I tend to agree with the previous post re over complicating fuelling.
    Personal experience tells me that my best performance rides are fuelled by a big bowl of porridge for breakfast (one part Scotts porridge oats one part semi-skimmed milk and one part water), plus two cups of proper fresh coffee - at least one hour before riding.
    Two 750ml bidons filled with 500ml bottles lucozade sport topped up with water. Other similar unbranded alternatives are cheaper and seem to contain exactly the same content (check the labels if you don't believe me).
    Total cost, £2 -£3.
    For longer rides, Jelly Babies taste great and are pure carbs. If you need a café/feed station break - coffee, brown bread ham sarnies and a bidon top up do it for me.
    100 miles-job done.
  • i rode it last year, first time doing that distance.

I set my garmin to beep every 20min and took a bite from a bar or something - not overdoing it but just enough. worked for me!