Freewheel removal and tools

jimmyt-11
jimmyt-11 Posts: 119
edited July 2015 in Workshop
So I tried to remove a freewheel today using a recently purchased Aldi bike tool kit.

I couldnt seem to get the tool to fit in the grooves. It looked like it would fit.

Hopefully there is someone who can help

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    There are many different freewheel tools for the different fitting used by the freewheels

Have a look on ParkTools for more info. Link in sig.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Freewheel or cassette?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • jimmyt-11
    Im pretty sure it's a freewheel. It's an early 90s Rayleigh.

Having looked on the park tools website i have seen there are lots of different types or remover. And having looked at the fee wheel it looks like it might be sun race.

Does anyone know which one would have come with the Aldi kit i purchased? Is hard for me to tell

Thanks
  • nicklouse
    Most likely a Shimano cassette tool.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    So I tried to remove a freewheel today using a recently purchased Aldi bike tool kit.

I couldnt seem to get the tool to fit in the grooves. It looked like it would fit.

Hopefully there is someone who can help

Thanks

The tool could have stopped engaging in the grooves by the locknut on the axle
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Most likely a Shimano cassette tool.

I think this is the most likely explanation. You need a freewheel removal tool which looks the same but is slightly thinner walled. I have both but am hard pressed to tell them apart.

And when you get the thing, the easiest way to use it is to mount the tool in a bench vice, engage the freewheel, then unscrew the wheel anticlockwise. Easier if the tyre is left on and inflated.

Screw-on freewheels can require a lot of torque to unscrew if they've been on there a while and weren't originally mounted with anti-seize grease, which most weren't.

Alternatively a bike shop will have the appropriate tool / experience and shouldn't charge you more than a fiver to whip it off.
  • jimmyt-11
    ok so can someone help out with a link to the tool I require, I think I can find the Parktools one, but id rather not spend so much money.

I have removed the locking nut.

I was also thinking of using another wheel off my dads old hybrid, I hope that isn't going to be a different tool again.
  • jimmyt-11
    as an extra question...

how would I go about making this wheel into a single speed?

I think the videos I have been looking at so far have been on the assumption I had a free hub?
  • nicklouse
    post up pictures of what you have. if you know what parktool you need then you have the info you need to find a cheaper tool.

you need a very rare adaptor. easier to find a SS wheel complete or have your rim rebuilt onto a suitable hub.
  • jimmyt-11
    ok ill see if I can add a picture later.

What has just got me thinking is after looking again at the park tools blog:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/cassette-and-freewheel-removal

I think my freewheel looks like the first (shimano) picture although it did say sunrace on it??

thanks
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    We use current Sun Race freewheels on my wife's electric bike. They take the standard Shimano freewheel removal tool. My Shimano tool broke some time ago but the Campag Chorus/Record cassette/bottom bracket tool also fits and works fine for removal.

There are various different types of freewheel removers to fit Shimano, Suntour, Regina, Sachs etc and you need the right one. Some have just a couple of teeth to engage, others like Shimano have lots.

The technique described by keef66 using a bench vice to hold the removal tool tight is the way to remove freewheels. They normally need a lot of force to shift. You need to hold the rim and tyre and give a sharp anti-clockwise twist to get it to start unscrewing.
  • jimmyt-11
    20150713_185152_zpshryeyopb.jpg
  • jimmyt-11
    That's the freewheel. Sorry for the poor photo
  • jimmyt-11
    20150713_185247_zpslnsfg8zb.jpg
  • jimmyt-11
    That's the til I'm using but didn't seem to fit
  • mercia_man
    That's a Sachs Maillard freewheel. Your freewheel tool has 12 splines and would appear to be a Shimano fit. I can't see how many splines your freewheel has. I know some Sachs Maillard ones had 24 splines although I think later ones had 12 splines and would fit a Shimano tool. Freewheel tools are a very tight fit in the freewheel. Are you sure you are pushing it in place hard enough?
  • jimmyt-11
    I do have another one which is sun race. I'll have to count. Should i need to hammer out in? Or should it just slot in?
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    should just slot in by hand
  • mercia_man
    I've had to tap in occasionally with a hammer, depending on which combination of freewheel and tool. Not smashing it in though. Once it's in it will come out more easily.
  • jimmyt-11
    ok I will have to give this another go then. I was sure I wasn't missing a trick, but maybe I am.

I guess it could be that I have the right tool but since its a cheap Aldi tool set it is poorly made???
  • jimmyt-11
    so I tried again last night and its definitely not the right one. is it possible I have the equivalent of park tools f-5 and need an f1.2???
  • keef66
    so I tried again last night and its definitely not the right one. is it possible I have the equivalent of park tools f-5 and need an f1.2???

I think you are spot on. What you have in your toolkit is a Shimano pattern cassette lockring tool, and what you need is a freewheel tool, the Park F1.2 or equivalent. I bought a cheapo one in Halfords after an online purchase resulted in just another cassette lockring tool which didn't fit. I took the wheel into the shop just to confirm the tool would fit before I bought it.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/tools-maintenance/tools/xlc-shimano-ug-freewheel-socket

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q=cyclo+freewheel+%26+bottom+bracket+remover&cat=product
  • jimmyt-11

I think you are spot on. What you have in your toolkit is a Shimano pattern cassette lockring tool, and what you need is a freewheel tool, the Park F1.2 or equivalent. I bought a cheapo one in Halfords after an online purchase resulted in just another cassette lockring tool which didn't fit. I took the wheel into the shop just to confirm the tool would fit before I bought it.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/tools-maintenance/tools/xlc-shimano-ug-freewheel-socket

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q=cyclo+freewheel+%26+bottom+bracket+remover&cat=product

I just bought this. How is the right thing

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fwe/shimano-mf-freewheel-remover-ec053200
  • keef66
    That's the badger! Looks to be a better quality item than the 2 I linked to.

I like the description that says it can be used with a 1/2" racket. Presumably for a very small tennis match...
  • jimmyt-11
    That's the badger! Looks to be a better quality item than the 2 I linked to.

I like the description that says it can be used with a 1/2" racket. Presumably for a very small tennis match...

very funny, hadn't noticed that.

It does seem to be pretty decent quality, but for that money I would rather have gone with park tools, though im a newbie to this so maybe this brand is decent too.

im going to give it a go this evening if I have the time and fingers crossed it will work perfectly.
  • mercia_man
    That looks like it's the right one. As others have said, your other tool is for cassettes not freewheels and is just that bit too thick. Good luck with the job. Remember to grease threads when you re-fit freewheel.
  • jimmyt-11
    I managed to finally get it off last night. Wow is was tough. Needed a metal pole on the wrench to do it.

Now all i need to do is find a decent value single speed freewheel to go back on it.
  • jimmyt-11
    Thanks all for your help and advice
  • keef66
    I managed to finally get it off last night. Wow is was tough. Needed a metal pole on the wrench to do it.

Now all i need to do is find a decent value single speed freewheel to go back on it.

Congratulations! You're probably feeling pretty MoneySupermarket, no?

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shopsingle.html and scroll down to the singlespeed freewheels. Shimano one at £30+ or a cheaper alternative below it...

ETA: Although these look like they require a 4 pronged freewheel tool for removal. Installation should be simply a matter of screwing it on clockwise. Tighten if you like with a chain whip, or it will tighten itself naturally as you pedal. You did remember to put some copperslip on the threads first, didn't you?...