Revelation RL Forks - What's this thing for?

Cyph3rs
Cyph3rs Posts: 69
edited July 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey all I've got the Revelation RL forks, first off, I've put 110psi in them, which is in the middle of the recommended range for my weight (roughly 13.2 stone/185lbs) but they seem to bottom out pretty easily, should I just add more air?

Secondly, on the bottom of the forks, one of the legs has, erhhh, a red thing?

600x600-99633-pb111856-3.jpg
https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/revelation-rl#page-top

What is it for?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Adjust for the correct sag

Rebound damping adjustment.

Maybe read the manual.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cyph3rs
    Adjust for the correct sag

Rebound damping adjustment.

Maybe read the manual.

It didn't come with a manual :(
  • cooldad
    There will be one on the Rockshox website.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cyph3rs
    There will be one on the Rockshox website.

Sorry I'm probably being completely thick here, but I can't find a relevant manual on the Rockshox website??
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Let the air out of the air side, remove the top cap using a 24mm socket or large adjustable. Inside, check wether there is a grey plastic token on the underside of the air cap, if not, is there a thread where a token could be screwed in inside the air cap?

If yes to the above, buy some air tokens for your fork (RockShox 32mm Air Tokens is what you need to google). Add maybe 2 (total 3 - I expect your fork has 1 already) and try again at the same pressure. This will stop your bottom out issues without having to compromise the air pressure.

As CD says, the red adjuster is rebound speed, once you're happy the forks dont feel too bouncy/top out/slow by adjusting the rebound as needed, take it out and keep it somewhere safe (it pulls out). They can fall out!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    As CD says, the red adjuster is rebound speed, once you're happy the forks dont feel too bouncy/top out/slow by adjusting the rebound as needed, take it out and keep it somewhere safe (it pulls out). They can fall out!

I thought the idea was to leave them in so that you can easily adjust by a click or two if you go from one surface type to another? Didn't know falling out was an issue?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well known issue
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Well known issue
    OK, now well known to me too. Is adjusting mid-ride not mean to be a "thing" then?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • benpinnick
    Not really much reason to adjust the rebound mid ride, hence why its buried off at the bottom. Its pretty set and forget.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    Its not like leaning down and fl!ck!ng or twisting a crown adjust. If your doing a setup ride then leave it in, until you've honed it, once setup either leave at home or in the tolls you carry.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Let the air out of the air side, remove the top cap using a 24mm socket or large adjustable. Inside, check wether there is a grey plastic token on the underside of the air cap, if not, is there a thread where a token could be screwed in inside the air cap?

If yes to the above, buy some air tokens for your fork (RockShox 32mm Air Tokens is what you need to google). Add maybe 2 (total 3 - I expect your fork has 1 already) and try again at the same pressure. This will stop your bottom out issues without having to compromise the air pressure.

This. All day.

The 32mm tokens are rocking horse $h!t. Make a massive difference though, completely transformed my reba, so much more sensitive and progressive.

Once you're happy with the rebound, whip it out. I destroyed mine on a rock.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Let the air out of the air side, remove the top cap using a 24mm socket or large adjustable. Inside, check wether there is a grey plastic token on the underside of the air cap, if not, is there a thread where a token could be screwed in inside the air cap?

This. All day.

The 32mm tokens are rocking horse $h!t. Make a massive difference though, completely transformed my reba, so much more sensitive and progressive.

Where'd you get your tokens from? Only place I've seen them in the UK is loco tuning so far, want to try some in my revs.
  • Cyph3rs
    Is there an easy way to test if my rebound is set correctly?

/aware I may get slated for that question.
  • cooldad
    If it throws you off it's too fast (not enough damping), if it packs down it's too slow (to much damping).
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    As a guide Cyph3rs, set the rebound as fast as you can so that when you jump on the fork (hold the bars and press down quickly) and then release quickly, you don't get any top out clunk. Then add a couple more clicks, and go ride :)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    Also, if your forks dont take tokens, you can buy the upgrade kit for reasonable money... if you can find one :)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Cyph3rs
    As a guide Cyph3rs, set the rebound as fast as you can so that when you jump on the fork (hold the bars and press down quickly) and then release quickly, you don't get any top out clunk. Then add a couple more clicks, and go ride :)

Perfect! Will do that now :)
  • Let the air out of the air side, remove the top cap using a 24mm socket or large adjustable. Inside, check wether there is a grey plastic token on the underside of the air cap, if not, is there a thread where a token could be screwed in inside the air cap?

This. All day.

Where'd you get your tokens from? Only place I've seen them in the UK is loco tuning so far, want to try some in my revs.

I got mine from ebay (rockshox 32mm tokens) via the usa so the delivery is almost the price of the tokens. CRC has them listed as out of stock or not at all. I have a 2014 reba which wasn't supposed to have a threaded cap so it'll be worth a check before ordering.
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • The Rookie
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Cheers Rookie, had seen those on Amazon, unfortunately the dispatch time of 1 to 3 months is a little excessive.

Looks like I'll be going with getting them from the states like you Chris, last time I spoke to loco tuning they didn't have any but I might try them again first.
  • benpinnick
    Yeah the delivery time is a bit long :)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    Might be too late, but compared to the pressure in my revelations you have your pressure quite low. l'm about 12 st but ride fairly hard - and I think I have about 140 psi in mine. I started by setting up the forks so stood up in an attack type position I has 38mm of sag against the measurement on the stanchions.

I found on my local trails (which are fairly tame in Bristol) that I was getting full travel too easily for my liking. I therefore added another 10 psi and it seems perfect. After that I played with the rebound clicker as it was rebounding too quickly. Adjusted it 1 click at a time until it didn't bounce back with roo much force - but equally it's back quick enough so I've got full travel for the next bump.

Although I do like my suspension a little springer than a few of my mates - o get on their bikes and they feel a little soggy.

Good point on the rebound adjuster - I had no idea they could fall out. Will be removing mine swiftly. Probably forget where I've put it safe so it will be lost anyway!