Seeking Hybrid Commuter Bike Recommendations

dmuk
dmuk Posts: 8
edited July 2015 in Commuting general
Hello,

I am seeking some advice on a new hybrid bicycle for my daily commute. I am looking to replace my previous hybrid. I am covering around 7-8 miles per day on mostly flat road (tarmac). Budget is less than £500.

I have narrowed the requirements to the following:

- Pinnacle, Trek, Ridgeback (other brands do not seem to be stocked in XL). Open to similar quality brands but these are the main known brands my LBS stocks.
- V brakes
- No shocks (rigid)
- Limited range of gears that allow for decent speed on flats (not fixed or single speed) - quick changes a nice to have
- Thin tyres for speed but suitable for all seasons (wet/dry)
- Lightweight (around 10kg)
- Comfortable seat is a bonus

Currently comparing the Trek 7x series bikes versus the Pinnacle Neon and Ridgeback Velocity.

Thanks.

Comments

• father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Personally I'd avoid a hybrid and look for a flat bar road bike, with road bike gearing. Giant FCR or similar.

Mudguards are a must for commuter so check clearences.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • dmuk
    Personally I'd avoid a hybrid and look for a flat bar road bike, with road bike gearing. Giant FCR or similar.

I have posted a reply but it is awaiting mods approval.

Is there any difference between a hyrbid and flat bar road bicycle? The Giant flat bar bicycles have the same frame shape. Are the drive trains different? What else is different?
  • father_jack
    Hybrids usually are more upright riding position, have thicker tyres, and have MTB style of gearing.

A flat bar road bike is basically a road bike, but bars, and levers replaced with flat bar versions. For riding only on roads, I'd look into road bike / flat bar road bike, rather than a hybrid.

The hybrids usually have more tougher frame and forks

Do a google image search for flat bar road bike and rigid hybrid and the differences are obvious
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hybrids cover such a range of bikes and contraptions that I wish manufacturers would stop using the phrase lol. But I agree that a flat bar road bike is good option. Have a look at this:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540-flat-bar-road-bike-tiagra-id_8322798.html#anchor_ComponentProductTechnicalInformation

Decent weight for that money.
  • dmuk
    Hybrids cover such a range of bikes and contraptions that I wish manufacturers would stop using the phrase lol. But I agree that a flat bar road bike is good option. ...

Decent weight for that money.

Thanks. That certainly looks like a decent option.

While I am only doing short distances, what is the riding position comfort like? General ride comfort? Also would the thin wheels cope with wet and oily roads? (Versus a hyrbid)

Right now my preference is for a hybrid as that is what I have been use to. However can see the weight and speed benfits from a road bike.
  • father_jack
    Flat bar road bikes will be fine on wet roads just make sure you buy one with mudguard clearence (deep drop caliper brakes)

http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/community/round-ups/round-up-flat-bar-road-bikes

look at the claude butler and giant (and similar)