Dropper posts under £100

2»

Comments

• joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    RSP Plummet arrived this morning - got to wait until I get home from work before I can get it on the bike. First impressions are good. Despite the rubber boot thing on it, I don't think it looks too bad. Even in it's most compressed position it doesn't look as squashed as the pictures of the Tmars ones online look. The lever seems to be well enough made and just pushing the post down with my hand isn't too hard, so imagine on the trail it should be easy enough.

Does seem to spring back up reasonably quickly, so we'll see if I can still have kids after the first use on Sunday. Will post up a pic once I have it on the bike.
  • kyle17290
    kyle17290 Posts: 261
    How you getting on with the post?considering getting one.
  • joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    Used the dropper post for the first time yesterday.

Had a slight drama fitting in as the cable needed to be routed through the top linkage of the suspension on my Boardman Pro FS, and to go through the top mount for the shock (the frame has dropper post mounts that guide it this way). So I had to disconnect the remote cable from the post. This should have been easy, but the cable was frayed on the end when I took it out, so had to put in a new cable. I had a spare gear cable and this did the job!

Once installed the post works great. I've not got much to compare it to as I haven't used another cheap post - I've only had a quick go withe the KS post that comes standard on a Kona Process 134 and my mates brand new Thompson Elite dropper. In comparison to those the Plummet doesn't look as nice for sure.

In terms of function of the post around Cwmcarn it was great - there's one point on the trail where a sign suggest dropping your seat, so I did. Yet about 500 metres along there's a pedally bit. With the post you can just pop the saddle back up on the go, then lower it down again when needed. Amazing.

I got the post for £55 delivered from Tredz, and so far it's money well spent - just have to see how it goes over time. Having seen a picture of the inside of the post there isn't much to go wrong (in theory).

Compared to some of the other cheap dropper posts the mechanism on the front looks tidier (comparing with pictures of say the Tmars I've seen online) and the lever itself seems easier to use - it's just a quick push down with your thumb to pull out the pin that engages the post in either fully up, 50mm down, or 100mm down. I found the middle setting the best - nothing at CC on the XC trails is steep enough to warrant fully down.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just bought my Decathlon dropper and fitted it (still at £29.99), as it's in a black frame with a black Spoon on top like BCs I won't bother with a photo.

I think it's is hydraulic as it is infinitely adjustable' there is absolutely no twist on the saddle unlike the much more expensive reverb. Lever action is light although the lever isn't the best possible shape it's fine to use, I haven't used it in anger yet.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    Just bought my Decathlon dropper and fitted it (still at £29.99), as it's in a black frame with a black Spoon on top like BCs I won't bother with a photo.

I think it's is hydraulic as it is infinitely adjustable' there is absolutely no twist on the saddle unlike the much more expensive reverb. Lever action is light although the lever isn't the best possible shape it's fine to use, I haven't used it in anger yet.

What's the deal with setting its max height? I'm uber picky about my saddle height so having a dropper doesn't fill me with joy but I can see the benefit. But if there's a way of knowing when it's all the way up its at the correct riding height then I may be tempted.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's all the way up when it stops moving up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jamski

As useful as ever.

But what if that's too high, is there any way of adjusting what that full height is? I'm probably being dumb but have zero knowledge of droppers.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406

As useful as ever.

But what if that's too high, is there any way of adjusting what that full height is? I'm probably being dumb but have zero knowledge of droppers.

You set full height as with any seatpost, have post fully extended insert in to frame and set to desired height for pedalling using the seatpost clamp.
  • jamski

As useful as ever.

You set full height as with any seatpost, have post fully extended insert in to frame and set to desired height for pedalling using the seatpost clamp.

Ok cool, so you just choose how much to leave in the seat tube? Makes sense, thanks.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Yeah, just bear in mind that the amount the post 'drops' by plus a little more for the collar are outside the frame so this needs to be taken in to account especially if you run your saddle quite low.
  • The Rookie

As useful as ever.

Ok cool, so you just choose how much to leave in the seat tube? Makes sense, thanks.
    You need at least 145mm between seatpost clamp and saddle rails to fit this and leave the saddle at the current height. The only issue I found was that I had to spend some time cleaning out the seat tube as it goes in much further than my current post and there was a fair bit of muck accumulated!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jamski

As useful as ever.

You need at least 145mm between seatpost clamp and saddle rails to fit this and leave the saddle at the current height. The only issue I found was that I had to spend some time cleaning out the seat tube as it goes in much further than my current post and there was a fair bit of muck accumulated!

Thanks. They're not available online or at any store anyway! I'll keep looking. Probably not at the top and f my list right now but it's good to know. :)
  • The Rookie
    If you search further afield they will ship to your nearest store, they just moved one from Oxford to Coventry for me, but you have to do the legwork to find it.
  • buddy_club
    buddy_club Posts: 935
    If you search further afield they will ship to your nearest store, they just moved one from Oxford to Coventry for me, but you have to do the legwork to find it.
    Seems they sold out pretty quickly. It's not on your niota then?
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • The Rookie
    On the Niota yes, I've kept the Knife on the carbon post for XC rides and put a spare Spoon on the dropper for more technical rides, using a QR clamp to make swapping quick and easy, that's why I didn't want one with a remorse.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Buyers remorse or just general sadness?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Remotely controlled auto-correct remorse!
  • I tried to get this but decathlon confirmed they are sold out and its not coming back in.

I bought a brand new one off ebay earlier and there is one on gumtree if you search nationally today but I guess you will need someone midlands based if you buy it.

For the money it seems great value.
  • Anyone with the Decathlon dropper had an issue with it slipping? Used for a dozen rides without issue, but the last couple of rides it has slipped on the rail clasp and have ended up with the nose in the air - giving me body weight issues :cry:

Looking at the torque setting, I used a bigger tool to tighten and it seems fine, not slipping, but not ridden in anger yet!

Paul
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Perhaps just me then :)

• The Rookie
    Sorry, just spotted, no issues no, but I cleaned it of any grease and put a little gripper paste on before use, as I do with all clamps of that style.
  • No worries, The Rookie. I think it was a case of not tightening it enough. Cleaned it up of the grit and crap and then notice the torque level; seems to work a treat now. They are a bargain and I am well chuffed with it. My next bike (my 40th birthday gift to me next March) is likely to be from Germany and they typically have a Reverb, but it's hard to look past these if you can still get one and you have a frame that it fits.

Very impressed and it sold me on dropper posts - I just need to remember to activate it before descents :lol: