Can/should this be repaired

bill_gates
bill_gates Posts: 469
edited July 2015 in Workshop
Just noticed this today while in the process of swapping some wheels around between bikes. This pic is from my Mavic Ksyrium Elite S rear wheel which is in it's 3rd season and gets pretty moderate use although lovingly maintained in terms of being cleaned, etc.

Is this terminal for the wheel or is this the sort of repair that my LBS could do? I've looked at the Mavic service manuals and see a part number for the area in question but can't really find out if this can be purchased from a shop (maybe is it service dealer only?)

Any thoughts? These particular wheels were not yet ready for being scrapped and I planned on them either being winter wheels or a hand-me-down to Mrs G's bike.

2ur7aq9.png

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    No, it can't be repaired. It's a warranty claim or it's a rim (and maybe a freehub/axle) on Ebay and the rest in the bin

EDIT: have you noticed there is a second crack developing on the left?
    left the forum March 2023
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I would say that's terminal unless you fancy getting it welded up B&Q a fabrication or machine shop. That should b possible and should machine back up to a reasonable state. I'd get a price for that and see if it's worth doing.
  • bill_gates
    Thanks for quick replies.

I had noticed multiple cracks, I only posted one photo but it's like that a lot of the way round. Sao that specific part can't just be bought then?

Didn't expect that, is that a downfall of Mavic and the specific bespoke components they use? What sort of warranty is likely to be on the product? I'm not too hopeful that it would qualify.

• ugo.santalucia
    Thanks for quick replies.

I had noticed multiple cracks, I only posted one photo but it's like that a lot of the way round. Sao that specific part can't just be bought then?

Didn't expect that, is that a downfall of Mavic and the specific bespoke components they use? What sort of warranty is likely to be on the product? I'm not too hopeful that it would qualify.

Warranty is 2 years, but it's worth asking in any case, they might want to replace it, given the extent of the problem.
    The main problem is the radial lacing on the high tension side of the wheel. It is a stupid idea, that causes problems in most cases. Look at the Zipp thread above for reference.

No, you can't buy a spare Mavic Ksyrium hub
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,173
    as above, contact mavic and see what they say, include picture(s) showing cracks

contact@mavic.com

by the book their warranty is usually two years and you'd be expected to via the retailer you purchased from, they may simply tell you this, but if you can turn on the charm you never know
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Yikes! As above, I'm sure that's not safely repairable. I'd say it's a design flaw, but Mavic would never admit that. Try for a warranty claim despite their age, but be prepared for them saying NON, and as Ugo says to bin the hub and Ebay the rest.

Given how much these things cost, I'd be wanting something lasting a lot longer than that. My humble RS10's are 8 years old and have only had a change of bearings and a rear spoke.

For that kind of money I'd go for handbuilt using Ultegra hubs, something like an Archetype rim, and spokes to suit your weight / riding.
  • bill_gates
    I've sent an email to Mavic today, I'll hopefully get a response.

I am awaiting a set of Ksyrium SLR's being delivered this week which in one hand is good as I'll get my best bike on the road again but I'm concerned about overall quality on these wheels especially is SLR's are likely to be less sturdy than the Elite S.

• ugo.santalucia
    especially is SLR's are likely to be less sturdy than the Elite S.

Not necessarily. Of course you have to be careful not to hit the carbon spokes when you store or move the bike around. Are these SLR r-SYS?
  • bill_gates
    I've not opted for R-Sys but still he 2015 model with 4D technology.

• dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    might find a hub on eBay if someone has trashed their rim

worth asking mavic as you have done
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    As others have said, if Mavic won't play with a warranty claim, it's either you sell this as a damaged-for-spares wheel on eBay which someone who's wrecked their rim buys and rebuilds using their hub, or you look on eBay for that person selling their wrecked-rim wheel and you buy their hub and rebuild it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    As others have said, if Mavic won't play with a warranty claim, it's either you sell this as a damaged-for-spares wheel on eBay which someone who's wrecked their rim buys and rebuilds using their hub, or you look on eBay for that person selling their wrecked-rim wheel and you buy their hub and rebuild it.

There should be some sort of dating site for this type of transactions...
  • lapavoni10
    lapavoni10 Posts: 146
    Years ago I had a pair of Mavic Classic Pros. They constantly went out of true (something I never had with any other factory or handbuilt wheels before or since). Mavic eventually agreed to look at them and stated they had been accident damaged...which was utter rot as there was not a mark on them and they could not say what damage they incurred!
    As they were so unreliable, I left them in the loft (dry and warmish). Withing the year, the flanges had basically exploded with most of it cracked as yours are...I would say have the spokes had pulled through.

So, with their quality and customer service in mind, I have never touched a Mavic product since. I have used Campag factory wheels since and never had a single issue.
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Canyon are selling a rear wheel for £116, swap the freehud over from your damaged wheel and you are good to go.

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/factory-outlet/#category=parts-wheelsets
  • bill_gates
    Is that going to be compatible? Also is Canyon factory outlet used products or just old stock?

• dowtcha
    Yes that will be compatible. I am assuming you are running shimano.The wheel from canyon has a ed10 freehub that works for Campanola cassettes. You would need to take this off and swapped in the M10 freehub that is on your broken wheel. Its good to know how to do this for general maintenance of the freehub. Its very easy to do. I would think the wheel is also new/old stock but you could email and ask.

links below shows how to service the m10 freehub.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFzsBGGbTZU
  • bill_gates
    I'll give this a go then.

I'll likely have all tools needed but unsure on what lube to use inside the freehub. I have a lot of Finish Line products, would those do?

• dowtcha
    They recommend a very light mineral oil, I use the following
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Wahl-Clipper-Oil-118ml-for-Hair-Clippers-3310-517-/251527900428?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a903b2d0c

The freehubs are pricey on their own, 50 euro from chaonreaction. You could get 25-30 back from selling the ED10 on ebay. You should still try Mavic for a replacement and mention that you have slr on the way.
    Tool wise you need a chainwhip,lockring,5mm allen key and a wrench. If you dont have the tools then a LBS should swapped it out for £10-15. If you have already changed cassettes then the freehub will be easy.
  • bill_gates
    Ceramic wet lube not good enough then?