Which BB British or Italian??? Noob and confused!

TheAbbeyFlyer
TheAbbeyFlyer Posts: 32
edited July 2015 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I have got myself a 2009 Bianchi via nirone 7 Alu compact mix Sora 9sp. As mentioned in a previous post I have a touch of upgraditis! I am changing from 9sp to 10sp on a budget so been shopping around. Decided on going for Tiagra 10sp shifters front and back dérailleurs. Now I am shopping around for 10sp Tiagra cassette and compact crankset. Thought this would be straightforward however the bike has a prowheel ounce-622c compact 50/36 and I can't find any mention of bottom bracket anywhere. Main issue is wheather the Bianchi has British thread or Italian thread(I m thinking it's Italian as bike is Italian) but not sure! Will just buy a shimano BB 4600 but need to know what thread! If anyone can shed light on this would be much appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Hi all,

I have got myself a 2009 Bianchi via nirone 7 Alu compact mix Sora 9sp. As mentioned in a previous post I have a touch of upgraditis! I am changing from 9sp to 10sp on a budget so been shopping around. Decided on going for Tiagra 10sp shifters front and back dérailleurs. Now I am shopping around for 10sp Tiagra cassette and compact crankset. Thought this would be straightforward however the bike has a prowheel ounce-622c compact 50/36 and I can't find any mention of bottom bracket anywhere. Main issue is wheather the Bianchi has British thread or Italian thread(I m thinking it's Italian as bike is Italian) but not sure! Will just buy a shimano BB 4600 but need to know what thread! If anyone can shed light on this would be much appreciated

Thanks

Pretty sure it'll be British but measure the shell width. If it's 68mm wide its British, if 70mm Italian.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Hi all,

Thanks

Pretty sure it'll be British but measure the shell width. If it's 68mm wide its British, if 70mm Italian.

Excuse my ignorance! Shell? Is that part of bike frame or the crank ?
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    The shell is the part of the frame that the BB screws or presses into. The other way to tell if it's Italian is that it will be reverse threaded on both sides.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    If it's a square axle BB you can read what it says on the outside of the bracket.
    If it says 36 then it's Italian, it's written near the bottom bit after Campagnolo and you'll have to zoom in.

http://flatoutcycles.co.uk/campagnolo-square-taper-bb-italian-thread-68mm-26959

By the way this one is a 68 mm shell but is still Italian.

If it's British thread it will say 1.37 the link below shows it written on part of the bracket that you won't be able to see but it's also written on the outside of the cup at the other end of the photo.

http://guideimg.alibaba.com/images/shop/75/08/29/6/shimano-bb-un55-bottom-bracket-british-thread-73-113-mm-silver_3848636.jpg
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Bianchi Via Nirone has most likely British BB.
  • Foobies
    Foobies Posts: 134
    100% British. Just upgraded my own nirone 7 from sora to 105 and it works for mine.
    2019 Bianchi Oltre XR4
    2016 Bianchi Ethanol
    2015 Bianchi via nirone 7

2018 Boardman ADV 8.9