Panniers

Mark Alexander
Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for a little advice on panniers please. I've just had a rack fitted, in part for a child seat but for comment ting with a pannier too.

I'm considering two Ortlieb bags, the back-roller Classic and back roller urban.
Am I missing a trick?
The cost difference of the two are quite a lot.
http://twitter.com/mgalex
www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    I have the classic, they're great, don't see how they can be improved
    left the forum March 2023
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    You might want to consider the Bike Packer Classic which I find more practical than the Back Roller type. Instead of a roll top closure you have a standard top flap with two clips which makes it easier and quicker to access contents and enables you to keep items such as a wet rain jacket under the top flap and away from the main compartment. A top flap also enables you to carry long items underneath it which might be too long to fit into the main compartment. Roll top bags are more waterproof if you risk being totally submerged, such as for use in a canoe, but my Ortlieb Bike Packers have never leaked in years of use.

Whatever type you get, Ortlieb panniers are high quality durable products with an excellent mounting system. Worth the comparatively high price.