Zuus Wheels

rokt
rokt Posts: 493
edited February 2016 in Road buying advice
Sorry about yet another wheel question.

I've just about finish a build I'm on with (titanium) and I would like to put some deepish aero wheels on it.
I have a budget of around £400, which I know is not a lot. I spotted a picture of a Scott with some on within the
forum and they looked quite nice.

I'm not happy buying from ebay or direct from the Far East and thought these could be just what I'm looking for.
If any one could offer any advice it would be appreciated.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    If you scroll the page, there is a rather long thread about Zuus wheels
    left the forum March 2023
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Carbon zone from eBay or Planet X: carbon zone service is excellent and the wheels are excellent (even though it means using to use the 'bay), Planet X wheels are also really good value but their customer service is shocking.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rokt
    Sorry, I missed that and it was right under my nose !

Can I take it Ugo that you're not a fan ?

It looks like I'll have to up my budget and not tell the wife.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Sorry, I missed that and it was right under my nose !

Can I take it Ugo that you're not a fan ?

It looks like I'll have to up my budget and not tell the wife.

I have no opinion, except for the ghastly stickers
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Sorry about yet another wheel question.

I've just about finish a build I'm on with (titanium) and I would like to put some deepish aero wheels on it.
    I have a budget of around £400, which I know is not a lot. I spotted a picture of a Scott with some on within the
    forum and they looked quite nice.

I'm not happy buying from ebay or direct from the Far East and thought these could be just what I'm looking for.
    If any one could offer any advice it would be appreciated.
    It might have been my Scott you saw. Anyway, I ordered a set of the Z50s last Wednesday and they were delivered the next day. I am very impressed by the look and overall quality for the price. The nasty Zipp-alike logos are gone, replaced with a new logo on removable stickers. I opted for the gloss black ones, which look much better than I hoped for. The Novatech hubs are silky smooth and the rims are the new, preferred wide U shape. I have done a couple of decent rides on them now and I am very happy with them - no problems with side winds and they are smooth and comfortable with 25 mm tyres @ 85psi. Gary, the man behind Zuus goes out of his way to be helpful if you give him a call. The wheels come with brake pads, 80mm tubes, rim tape and skewers - everything you need to get going. It's early days of course, but these are getting a "highly recommended" from me!

19551755565_cfb1cfaf65_b.jpg

19660823905_6b09118d53_b.jpg

19474202979_63d69610f4_b.jpg
  • rokt
    Yes, that's the bike !

Thanks for posting the extra pictures, the wheels finish it for me.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll give Gary at Zuus a ring and have a word with him.
  • The wheels look great!
    How have you found the braking during your rides? Id love a pair to finish off my S3 but live in a hilly area and was worried about heat build up.
  • bobones
    edited July 2015
    I don't think these are the same rims, but they're certainly not the same spokes (Pillar, not CN). Zuus claim the rims are made from "high quality Toray carbon fibre and not cheap Chinese". I am under no illusions the the rims originate from China, but the advantage of buying from Zuus is the convenience of getting them shipped from the UK, with a UK warranty and crash replacement plan.
  • bobones
    The wheels look great!
    How have you found the braking during your rides? Id love a pair to finish off my S3 but live in a hilly area and was worried about heat build up.
    I haven't done a lot of miles on them and there are certainly no long descents near me, but I've found the stopping power to be better than I expected, even in the wet. The wheels are made with a heat resistant braking track and come with heat resistant tape, but I don't really know how they'd cope on an alpine descent for example.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I don't think these are the same rims, but they're certainly not the same spokes (Pillar, not CN). Zuus claim the rims are made from "high quality Toray carbon fibre and not cheap Chinese". I am under no illusions the the rims originate from China, but the advantage of buying from Zuus is the convenience of getting them shipped from the UK, with a UK warranty and crash replacement plan.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Thanks for this, Monday was moving a bit slowly for my taste.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Most expensive stickers i've ever seen.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Zuus claim the rims are made from "high quality Toray carbon fibre and not cheap Chinese". I am under no illusions the the rims originate from China...

OK, how about these ones then?

The rims even have the same warning stickers

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Carbon-Light-Aero-Wheels-Road-Bike_60229114197.html?spm=a2700.7724838.35.9.rbwFrb&s=p

EDIT: I am not being critical, I just try to understand what is unique about these over stuff you can source from wholesalers in China
  • rokt
    Mmmm, $659.00 a pair, minimum order of 5 plus delivery and any import duties !

I'm starting to wish I'd not bothered posting......
  • bobones
    Zuus claim the rims are made from "high quality Toray carbon fibre and not cheap Chinese". I am under no illusions the the rims originate from China...

OK, how about these ones then?

The rims even have the same warning stickers

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Carbon-Light-Aero-Wheels-Road-Bike_60229114197.html?spm=a2700.7724838.35.9.rbwFrb&s=p

EDIT: I am not being critical, I just try to understand what is unique about these over stuff you can source from wholesalers in China
    Might be the same rims, but different hubs and spokes. These ones work out about £450 a pair when you factor in customs charges and then there is a minimum order of 5 ... I paid £359 for mine all inclusive, which is about £400 cheaper than the Wheelsmith 50mm carbon clinchers. I have no doubt Derek's wheels are a superior product, but I am happy with the value of mine.

No one is trying to claim that the Zuus wheels are in any way unique, but as I said before they are decent value for money and dealing with a UK supplier is a whole lot less hassle (faster delivery, easier returns, no surprise customs charges, UK warranty, crash replacement) than doing business directly with Chinese suppliers.
  • As much as I dislike this phrase, they "are what they are".

We all know there's nothing different between these and countless other Asian suppliers, but when they're competitive in price, or cheaper outright than them and have a return to POS in the UK, it's hard to argue they aren't a decent buy in the market where so many want that deep section "look".

I bought those 60mm Zuus for general flatlands bashing, and I can't fault them really.....other than the weight when the road goes up, but on the flat they turn over a treat. I'm very surprised how well they handle in crosswinds too.

I know nothing about wheel building, but they've stayed straight and true since day one- no pinging, and they've hit a few holes along the way. All spokes still feel equally tensioned to hand at least.

The supplied old style Shimano cork pads are gash with the rims though I find- the basalt brake surface seems to proper chew them up.
  • e30matt
    e30matt Posts: 24
    Pippi Langsamer, do you mind me asking what brake pads you now
    run on your Zuus wheels please?
    I find the supplied cork pads seem to get eated up rather quickly and
    the braking some what lacking.

Thanks in advance,

Matt.
  • Pippi Langsamer, do you mind me asking what brake pads you now
    run on your Zuus wheels please?
    I find the supplied cork pads seem to get eated up rather quickly and
    the braking some what lacking.

Thanks in advance,

Matt.

I run the Shimano "blue", carbon pads with my DA 9000 tubs, so use them instead on the Zuus too...
  • Zuus wheels are purchased directly from china, with no insight to what he is actually purchasing, he's very uneducated and claims they use "Japanese carbon" and not "Chinese carbon" when in fact this statement doesn't make sense or even exist for that matter. Most Toray carbon is purchased created and purchased from Japan, (Which the Chinese purchase and use with their moulds.)

So stating they are made with Japanese carbon is correct, but he's using this term to cover up they are purchased from china.

Here is the company on Alibaba where he buys the wheelsets.

"XIAMEN YUAN AN TRADING CO. LTD" , they happened to advertise their own wheels with zuus stickers on!

Do your research before purchasing guys, just because they are cheap don't be fooled.

Derek at wheelsmith also uses Chinese rims, he used to use Gigantex but they have a huge minimum order quantity and a long lead time, roughly 3 months from my experience, which puts most people off.

Don't get me wrong, Chinese rims aren't that bad. They just won't last very long, if you own a pair I would highly recommend keeping a close eye on the braking surface, once weak they have been known to give way under load.

IMO I would prefer to spend more on a reliable rim, it'll last much longer with many more "marginal gains" and obviously R&D and piece of mind.

Although in principle I do agree with what you say, I think you should be more careful with your words, for two reasons

1) Unless you are 100% sure what you say is the truth, anything damaging is potentially libelous too

2) It is not permitted to advertise your business openly on this forum, which you have done on two occasions already (the first I assume led to a ban of your previous ID)

just saying... :?