bike on finance

archer4
archer4 Posts: 86
edited July 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Looking to get back into mountain biking after a two year break since my last was stolen, looking at buying a bike on finance as ive just spent money on my new motorbike :)

i was looking at http://www.tredz.co.uk/hardtail-mountain-bikes what do you guys think probably looking at around 600-700 on finance any idea what bike to look at on there if you guys could help would really appreciate your time so i can get back on those trails
Thanks Joe

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Can you get Cycle to Work through your employer? It's much cheaper, especially at your price range. If not I would go with an interest free credit card and shop around for the best deal.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get a loan or a credit card, you'll get a much better bike for your money that way.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • archer4
    Cycle to work scheme wouldn't be a option because my work won't do that I can ask my I doubt that, so a credit card would be better you think that site offer 0% interest over 12 months, really like the trek X-Caliber looking at a bike that doesn't have stock suntour forks and has rockshox instead.
  • rockmonkeysc
    They might be Rockshox but they aren't as good as some Suntour forks. The Suntour Epicon is actually pretty decent and the Raidon isn't bad either.
    They are very basic and nor good.
    For the price you would get a much better bike from Halfords or Decathlon.
    Big brands like Trek, Specialized, Giant etc are very poor at this price range. The X Calibre isn't very good for the price.
  • archer4
    there a few I like the voodoo Bantu halfords or the careers kraken or decathlon have the btwin rockrider 560 for £400 at the minute
  • stretchy
    stretchy Posts: 149
    Get a loan or a credit card, you'll get a much better bike for your money that way.

How can you get better bike for your money than with 0% credit?
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919

How can you get better bike for your money than with 0% credit?
    You're locked into the bikes on offer. A 0% card would let you purchase anything...
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I am generally opposed to financing purchases of leisure/hobby items and I hate being in debt but obviously having the cash (in the form of a 0% credit card) allows you to shop around and pick and chose your bike. Having 0% finance through one shop/website does not.

Some shops will do you a deal, some places stock last years models at discount, some places try and flog their customers for every penny and give nothing in return. I'd try and pick the former over the later unless you want to feel very uncomfortable sitting down for a few weeks after buying your bike.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Bikes available on interest free are rarely discounted. If you buy on credit card you can shop around to find the bike at the best price.
  • stretchy
    stretchy Posts: 149
    All bikes in that shop are available interest free.
  • archer4
    All bikes in that shop are available interest free.

What he means is that if I chose that shop is be restricted to them bikes only from that shop, but looking at the rockrider in decathlon
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Very little is free. The shop is covering the interest out of the markup.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You'd be buying a bike for £400 that you could get as good a bike elsewhere for £250, the fact you may save £30 on cost of credit doesn't make up for that.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.