Rear rack for Calibre Two.Two Alloy Hardtail Mountain Bike

Rashomon
Rashomon Posts: 7
edited July 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hello,
I have recently started cycling to work. I have a 55 mile return commute, on road, cycle path (former tow path) and in town (no cycle lanes). I manage it in 2 hours 20 minutes in the morning and 2 hours 45 minutes in the evening (when I am more tired) but am hoping to build up speed. At the end of my morning journey, I also have to lift the bike over a fence, then climb the fence myself, and walk with it up a very steep hill through a grassy meadow (thank God no cattle so far), then more lifting over fences. That takes me a whole 15 minutes! In the evening I only have to walk with the bike downhill but that's hairy: I could tumble down like Prince George but I am afraid the bike would not like it. :lol:
I got a Calibre from Go Outdoors as it was in my budget and was comfortable enough for me to ride (I am not a proficient cyclist at all and have already ridden in Germany and the Netherlands in the past, on dedicated cycle paths in town - no hills either) and comfortable on the tow path (quite a few bumps and potholes). I have also taken it on proper mountain bike trails and it was fun, though muddy :) The brakes do not look very efficient though.
I need to eat a lot and there isn't anywhere I can buy food from near my workplace so I need to transport food from home every day. I am carrying it in a rucksack right now but it is taking a toll on my back. I want to fit in a rack and am hesitating between:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Topeak-MTX-Beam-Rack%C2%A0V-Type-Black/dp/B004BUC9OU/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1436218164&sr=8-7&keywords=topeak+rack
http://www.oldmanmountain.com/Pages/RackPages/RearRacks.html (the Sherpa)
Any advice? I don't want to wait several weeks for the free servicing at Go Outdoors so have asked help from my neighbours however they are not entirely sure whether both racks (or either) can be installed on the bike, and I don't want to keep them a whole weekend morning!
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Does it have rack mounts? If not you're stuck with the Topeak anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Doesnt look like you have rack mounts so the Topeak is probably best, I used one with one of their bags to take lunch on my commute for about 5 years. The clamp is easy to fit though I removed the quick release and fitted a normal bolt so nobody could easily steal it
  • Rashomon
    Rashomon Posts: 7
    Doesnt look like you have rack mounts so the Topeak is probably best, I used one with one of their bags to take lunch on my commute for about 5 years. The clamp is easy to fit though I removed the quick release and fitted a normal bolt so nobody could easily steal it

Thanks for all the advice. I will report once I have that rack.