Upgrading from a Giant Defy 3...deal on a Scott CR1 2014 ...

maxpare
maxpare Posts: 2
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

I am new here, been riding my Defy 3 for 4 years now, time to go the carbon route and want some Ultegra component, I ride approximatly 2000-3000km per summer never more then 150km per ride. My local bike shop has a deal on a Scott CR1 10 2014 at 1800CAD$ (1400USD approx)...is that a good deal? I know very little about Scott bikes since every shop around here sells, Trek, Giant, Specialized and Cannondale...My other option was a Trek Domane 4.5 at 2800CAD$. I was also offered a Kuota (????) Kryon on Ultegra Di2 for 3800CAD$....

Anyhow what do you guys think about the Scott deal...should I take it (it doesn't have an Ultegra crankset)?

Thank you for your input!

Comments

• There is a massive cr1 thread in the commuting section. Hours of happy reading for you there :-)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I make that about £900. I think for a decent carbon frameset and Ultegra shifters / rear mech that's a reasonable buy. The non-series Shimano chainset and brake calipers wouldn't worry me, nor the Tiagra FD and cassette (not sure of the exact spec you get in Canada)

(I should declare an interest here; I do have a 2012 CR1-SL)

The most important consideration though is do they have it in the right size for you??
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    I went from a defy composite 1 to a CR1 pro. Swapped all my components over which were ultegra. Really awesome bike.. geometry is different.. lower front on it and steeper seat tube. Very responsive bike.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I love my CR1 would buy another in a heartbeat. Only drawback is tyre clearance for 25mm is very tight.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I love my CR1 would buy another in a heartbeat. Only drawback is tyre clearance for 25mm is very tight.

I have 25mm Michelin Pro4 SC on mine and they come up larger than 25 so it's close at the chainstays, but worth it. The combination of the fatter tyre / lower pressure and the CR1 frameset is brilliant for all day comfort.