Boardman Team Carbon replacement wheel

jmcdyre
jmcdyre Posts: 27
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
Evening guys

been trying to replace my freehub on Boardman 2014 Team Carbon but Halfords have been utterly useless (noone knew what I needed, eventually sent me one free of charge but its wrong one!) so expecting I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a new rear wheel. Local bike shop had no idea where to source a suitable freehub, its unbranded with a sealed bearing, Halfords told me i needed, and sent, unsealed.

I use bike mainly for commuting and the odd long ride, so not after an upgrade to the Mavic cpx 22s as such, just something on a par with them (but easier to get a freehub for in future if needed!).

could anyone please make some reasonably priced suggestion?

TIA

John

Comments

• hanhamreds
    hanhamreds Posts: 100
    Evening guys

been trying to replace my freehub on Boardman 2014 Team Carbon but Halfords have been utterly useless (noone knew what I needed, eventually sent me one free of charge but its wrong one!) so expecting I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a new rear wheel. Local bike shop had no idea where to source a suitable freehub, its unbranded with a sealed bearing, Halfords told me i needed, and sent, unsealed.

I use bike mainly for commuting and the odd long ride, so not after an upgrade to the Mavic cpx 22s as such, just something on a par with them (but easier to get a freehub for in future if needed!).

I recently replaced the cxp22's on my Felt with the Mavic Aksium one's from my Boardman - made a big difference to my ride, no more flex and loose spokes.

I bought Fulcrum quattros for the Boardman and use the rear cxp22 as a dedicated turbo wheel.

TIA

John
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Evening guys

TIA

John

I'd personally say that your LBS was actually more useless as neither places had any idea about the free hub but at least Halfords tried to sort you out.

Get some Aksiums or equivalent - they'll do the job nicely.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • jmcdyre
    Thanks both for replies.

Has been very frustrating with both Halfords and 2 LBS's!!

I will take a look at your suggestions
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Shimano R501. £67 a pair from Ribble. Shimano freehubs readily available, plenty of plain, round spokes.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/wheels-factory-built-wheels-factory-road-tri-shimano-r501-standard-spoke-clincher-wheels-pair/shimwhfr202.

I have them on my winter / wet bike because of the higher spoke count and their extreme cheapness. And I like being able to fettle the cup and cone hub bearings.
  • jmcdyre
    Thanks for that. Couple of probably daft newby questions though...

1. Do these Shimano wheels come supplied with a freehub?

2. Am I able to just replace the rear as the front Mavic cpx22 I already have is fine
  • keef66
    Yes, the wheels arrive complete with the freehub attached.

Some retailers sell front and rear wheels separately, but you'll often pay as much for a rear as for the pair.
  • jmcdyre
    excellent, thanks again everyone, have ordered the Shimano's
  • keef66
    You got the tools to swap the cassette over?
  • jmcdyre
    I have, but as it's still in LBS I've just asked them to do it this time