Thule Pack 'n' Pedal Shield Panniers - anyone using these?

ryanshattered
ryanshattered Posts: 177
edited July 2015 in Commuting general
My 'waterproof' Altura night vision pannier is generally leaky at the bottom and has even got a couple of small holes in it now after only a couple of year's daily commuting use and I'm starting to look into options for a replacement pair before winter as I have to use a dry bag inside at the moment.

I had been thinking that the no-brainer option would be Ortlieb Back Roller Classics, however, whilst researching, i came across these new panniers from Thule: http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/sport-and-travel-bags/bike-bags-and-racks/pannier-bags/thule-pack-n-pedal-shield-panniers-_-family_481738

Anybody got any experience of these? They look very similar but seem to improve upon the Ortliebs in a few areas:
- Around 500 grams lighter for the pair
- Lower rack hook is done away with in favour of a strong magnet. I'm guessing this is where they're saving a lot of the weight as well as making the bag less likely to snag on your clothes/dig into you when using the shoulder strap. Also looks like this makes mounting the pannier even easier...
- Better visibility at night as they have an all over reflective pattern.
- A bit cheaper than the Ortlieb, especially compared to the high-vis back roller.
- Internal pocket(s) look neater