How to choose a helmet

zcacogp
zcacogp Posts: 36
edited August 2015 in Road buying advice
Chaps,

Forgive me if this question has been asked many times (and I can't imagine it hasn't!) but I have searched the forums here and can't find anything definitive. I have found a lot of heated debate about helmets and feel the need to make clear from the outset that I wear one, but that's by-the-by ....

My existing cycle helmet is very old. And uncomfortable. And doesn't fit that well. It needs replacing.

I cycle around town and only short distances ('cos I'm a fat wuss.)

How do I choose a new helmet? Or, more to the point, what is the point of spending more money on a helmet? For instance, this is all of six quid:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HERSPQUE/rsp-quest-helmet

This one is about fifteen quid and looks fine:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HEAGTRA/agu-trabuco-helmet

Why should I spend more than six (or fifteen) quid?

More questions to bore you with:

- I can see the advantage of buying a helmet from a shop (as opposed to a tyre or a mechanical part) as you can try it on for size and fit, but is there any danger of buying from on-line sources as they seem to be a LOT cheaper? I can measure my head size easily enough - is there any more to it than that?

- The two on-line bike shops I have used the most are wiggle and chainreactioncycles, but all their helmets seem to be £35 and upwards. Is there anything wrong with these items from PlanetX? (Is there anything wrong with PlanetX full stop? Maybe PM me if answering this question will break a rule here).

Thanks for your help.

Oli.

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    edited July 2015
    Nothing wrong probably with those 2 , but, as you indicate yourself, you can feel it only on your own head.
    I do not believe in 200£ helmets being better than 10£ ones but the fit/form is personal, so you might try a couple before you find a comfortable one.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    The only real way to know is to try them on. The are a bit like saddles in that what is great and comfortable for one person is not for the next.

as for cost, they should all be tested to the same standards, the more expensive ones will probably be a bit lighter, better ventilated and some could argue they look better. If that is worth the extra money for you then go for it otherwise no real reason to spend more than you have to.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    As above, it's all in the fit - a helmet which is fractionally small can drive you nuts on a longer ride. The very slight pressure you may only just detect when trying it on in the shop can become increasingly painful as the time and miles pile on. Also consider do you need space for a hat/ sweatband/ winter woolie - a tight fit is unlikely to give you the option come winter time. Also consider, do you run hot - if so make sure you get a well vented model - there can be quite a difference in this respect. Those are the most important considerations for me - others such as does it look good or like a mushroom, price, weight, colour are less important for me - not to be ignored, but not key.

Peter
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    RE Planet-X Helmets.
    I have a £49.99 PX Road Helmet and it fits perfectly BUT the build quality is not very good!
    The straps in particular are the cheapest,flimsiest and totally annoying straps I've used.
    Pity as the fit for me is really good!
    If their £50 helmets are poor I can't see their sub £20 Lids being much cop :roll:
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The more expensive helmets tend to have more adjustment and not be one size fits all. After a point you get little extra for spending more and i just buy mine in the sales.
  • zcacogp
    zcacogp Posts: 36
    Chaps,

Quick follow-up to this; after the help on this thread I ended up buying an Abu Trabuco helmet from Planet X. This one:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HEAGTRA/agu-trabuco-helmet

... and it's a VAST improvement on my old one! It's vastly more comfortable and stays put on my head (the old one would move around quite a lot, leading me to worry that it may not be that effective if I came off the bike). The straps seem to be sturdy, thick, are attached well to the helmet and sit comfortably on my head. The clips don't feel flimsy. My only comment is that the adjustable band that goes around my head never seems to be the right size; I seem to need to adjust it every time I wear it, so wonder if my head changes size on a daily basis .... :?

(An aside, I bought some MIchelin Lition tyres as well, to replace some old Gatorskins whose sidewalls were perishing. They were very cheap, and seem to be OK. Maybe I ought to start another thread about them though.)

So, many thanks for your help.

Oli.