When to start them off?

slowbike
slowbike Posts: 8,498
edited August 2015 in Family & kids cycling forum
Our little dude is 3 weeks old now ... we're both keen cyclists and it'd be lovely to be able to get out for short easy rides with our little man ... however, we've yet to sort out how we're going to transport him.

Being so young he can't hold his own head up - so a child seat on the back isn't yet an option ?
We did wonder about a car seat in a trailer - but is that really sensible - I guess the vibrations and movements are going to be far worse than in a car ... whilst we'd like to get out cycling together we don't want to hurt him!

Any thoughts/experiences?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I would suggest that transporting a 3 week old baby on a bicycle (using any method) is probably a bad idea..
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    Wait and let them enjoy the experience, because if you scare them, you are stuffed and they never want to do it
  • slowbike
    I would suggest that transporting a 3 week old baby on a bicycle (using any method) is probably a bad idea..
    Well he's nearly 4 weeks now .... That was part of the question ... When?!

We're going away in a few weeks and could do some gentle outings then - smooth paths, not downhill mountain biking... But only if we were happy with his transport ...
  • slowbike
    Wait and let them enjoy the experience, because if you scare them, you are stuffed and they never want to do it
    At three weeks he's hardly going to get scared and remember - worst we could do is make it painful - then he'll cry - but that'll stop as soon as you take the pain away.
    Once he's a bit older then I agree - I don't want to put him off riding, but that's not going to be because of something that happened before he can remember!
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    you wont be able to find a helmet that fits and as you say they need to be able to hold up their heads as their neck and spine are not strong enough.

It will vary from child to child, my daughter was ok from approx 10 months before she was big enough to be in the rear seat I have (topeak babysitter). even at 13 months she is still small and with a helmet on still a touch too low in the childseat

You will also quickly see that helmets, child seats all have a recommended weight or age on them. so in short you need to know they are firstly strong enough and big enough to take any potential knock or accident that might happen as well as fit in the kit for safety.
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Be patient and wait until he's about 9 months, then a Yepp front seat (or similar) will be fine, then at about 3 years a rear seat (pannier rack mounted is best IMO, more secure/lower centre of gravity - I'd suggest looking at the Steco Safety).

Good to get them used to the idea of a bike as the prime means of transport as early as possible, but not quite yet.
  • Moldy
    Moldy Posts: 110
    I started running with my daughter in the chariot trailer at four months and began cycling with her at six months. From 8 months cycling on the road (always in a group). She either talks/sings to herself the whole way or falls asleep! Great exercise, she gets to play and charm everyone at the cafe stop and I get some serious hill training!
  • slowbike
    thanks - it's a real mix of wanting them to grow quickly so you can start sharing more activies and not wanting them to grow too quickly as it goes so fast!