Hope brakes?

rampage7110
rampage7110 Posts: 93
edited July 2015 in MTB buying advice
Morning, what are the most popular Hope brakes at the moment?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    someone elses.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I've no idea what that means?
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Based entirely on looking at a single online shop and sorting them by "best selling", I come up with the Tech X2 and the Tech E4. I can't tell if that's with or without braided hoses. If you want to get the most popular, I'd try putting the four-piston caliper on the front and the two-piston one on the rear.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What Nick meant is that people have moved away from Hope brakes, the benefits conferred by their higher cost has largely been eroded so something like Shimano now works just as well, is more reliable and costs less.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Shimano brakes are at least as good as Hope now for a lot less money. Hope have really lost popularity.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    While I do have Shimano on two of my most used bikes (the other has Magura rim brakes), there are some with old Hopes knocking about. They still work great with no maintenance and look amazing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • While I do have Shimano on two of my most used bikes (the other has Magura rim brakes), there are some with old Hopes knocking about. They still work great with no maintenance and look amazing.

Agreed I'm still running my m4's both front and rear. I find their performance to be brilliant and they are absolutely bomb proof so long as you occasionally throw a bit of silicone lube on the pistons. That said if I was in the market for new brakes I would be buying xt's. Hopes might look pimp but that's not enough to warrant their price for me.
    Yeti SB66c 2013