Planet X Kaffenback or London Road experiences?

bigmonka
bigmonka Posts: 361
edited July 2015 in Commuting general
I'm starting to plan my next bike, which will pretty much be just a commuter (15mile/day) but maybe some longer rides as my kids grow up. Two bikes I'm particularly interested in are the Planet X Kaffenback or Planet X London Road as both can be had for around £700.

Does anyone have any experience of either? Or even better, do you have experience of both?! there seems to be very little online comparing the two of them and I'm not sure which would be more suitable.

Hopefully I can get a trip to their shop later in the summer but for now it's just online research/dreaming.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The LR hasn't been available long, I don't recall seeing any reviews at all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • phills
    phills Posts: 68
    I have the flat bar version of the London Road and love it. Great for down the towpath, rough roads, shopping, commuting.. pretty much anything you can throw at it within reason.
  • bigmonka
    The LR hasn't been available long, I don't recall seeing any reviews at all.
    I think it's been nearly a year now, but you're right there seems to be very little in the way of reviews - not sure if that's a bad omen!!
  • bigmonka
    I have the flat bar version of the London Road and love it. Great for down the towpath, rough roads, shopping, commuting.. pretty much anything you can throw at it within reason.
    Nice one Phills - what made you go for the flat bar? Did you try before buying and did you look at the flat bar Kaffenback too?
  • phills
    I wanted a flat bar because I was changing my commute from all road to 50/50 road and river path so really wanted something more like a mountain bike but with road bike speed when needed. I have a mountain bike which is mainly for taking my little boy out on the back of but is quite heavy and the road bike just wouldn't last on the river path (Gravel, tree roots, loose stones). I think the London Road just about does everything I need. I have a rack on the back for my panniers when working, rack bag for general days out down the river. Only change I made was for 32mm Gatorskins as the stock tyres weren't great on the road. I think it is my favourite bike I've owned as it's not expensive enough to worry too much about, feels solid and comes in a great colour. Wouldn't hesitate to get another one if this one is stolen or breaks!

Did consider the Kaffenback but at the end of the day the colour and the frame shape just appealed to me on the LR. I didn't test drive it and went by the measurements on PX website for sizing. I'm 5' 11 3/4" and have a Large which is perfect for me.
  • bigmonka
    Thanks for the review mate, the LR is sounding good :-)
  • phills
    No worries, there was a review of the drop bar version someone did earlier in the year and he too was pleased with his bike:

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12998860&hilit=london+road
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I know someone with a kaffenback 2

Drop bar. I love it. I have doe 100 mile plus rides on it and cyclocross type rides. I also use it daily for work, 30 miles, day in day out and it serves me well. I have the tiagra version.

If you want any more info have a look here.

viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12945973&hilit=Kaffenback
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills