Racist abuse in the peloton

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited July 2015 in Pro race
After the incident between Albasini and Reza in last years tour there are more reports of racist abuse within the peloton.

During the Tour of Austria on stage 4 the Eritrean MTN-Qhubeka rider, Natnael Berhane, counter-attacked the CCC Sprandi Polkowice rider, Branislau Samoilau, who responded with the insult "fuck you nigger".

The CCC Sprandi Polkowice team released the following statement:
In the heat of the battle, some words have been said by our rider, which were very unfortunate and unacceptable,” a statement from CCC said. “We, as a team, do not tolerate that kind of behaviour and the rider will suffer consequences.
Intriguingly cyclingnews didn't think this was worth reporting and I came across it in The Times (£)

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    After the incident between Albasini and Reza in last years tour there are more reports of racist abuse within the peloton.

During the Tour of Austria on stage 4 the Eritrean MTN-Qhubeka rider, Natnael Berhane, counter-attacked the CCC Sprandi Polkowice rider, Branislau Samoilau, who responded with the insult "fark you nigger".

In the heat of the battle, some words have been said by our rider, which were very unfortunate and unacceptable,” a statement from CCC said. “We, as a team, do not tolerate that kind of behaviour and the rider will suffer consequences.
    Intriguingly cyclingnews didn't think this was worth reporting and I came across it in The Times (£)

It wasn't worth reporting thats why
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    There are still some ignorant people out there. Lots of these Eastern European countries are deeply racist.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • manic_esso
    manic_esso Posts: 92

During the Tour of Austria on stage 4 the Eritrean MTN-Qhubeka rider, Natnael Berhane, counter-attacked the CCC Sprandi Polkowice rider, Branislau Samoilau, who responded with the insult "fark you nigger".

Really ???

I think the team's response says it all. They clearly viewed it as a serious transgression (at least I hope it wasn't just a soundbite for the media / UCI)
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    There are still some ignorant people out there. Lots of these Eastern European countries are deeply racist.

Isn't that in itself deeply racist? Can't we all just get along?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • manic_esso
    manic_esso Posts: 92

It's not often I share the same opinion as FF but I do in this case.

Yes, I know that it's a sweeping generalisation and also that in the UK we're far from all living in harmony but it's far more prevalent and definitely more open than it is in Western Europe. Just look at all the stuff that goes on at EE football matches - something that FIFA have paid only lip service to dealing with.

Just the other week someone painted a swastika on the pitch prior to an international match and black players regularly get abuse from fans.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099

Saying that there are serious issues with racism in some countries? No. Suggesting that a number of these are in a shared geographical space or have other shared cultural aspects? Also no.

The way ff worded his post was a but clumsy though.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I was playing devils advocate. I have a finely tuned antennae to all forms of racial prejudice. Except against Wiganers, you can say what you like about them. I'll even join in.

Group hug?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • The_Boy

It most certainly is. We get constant updates on kittel's hair after all.

Regarding the op, it's a bit depressing but not all that surprising that this happens. At least the peloton has a long tradition of challenging behaviour.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy
    I was playing devils advocate. I have a finely tuned antennae to all forms of racial prejudice. Except against Wiganers, you can say what you like about them. I'll even join in.

Group hug?

Cool beans.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    As a general rule, the less diverse a country (or region) is, the more likely there is to be prejudice. UKIP for example have their greatest strength in relatively migrant-free areas:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11539388/Mapped-where-is-Ukips-support-strongest-Where-there-are-no-immigrants.html

I do think these stories need reported on, to shame the prehistoric riders as much as anything else.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    This nonsense won't stop until we're all 50 shades of beige, or we find evidence of life (intelligent or not) on another planet. Total FAIL for 2000 years of Western philosophy. Pathetic.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    The Telegraph article is worth a read:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/tour-de-france/11730282/Tour-de-France-2015-Racism-row-ruins-African-teams-landmark-success.html

Ryder claimed that his riders had regularly had to battle prejudice and bullying in professional cycling, with the team’s non-African signings such as Tyler Farrar and Edvald Boasson-Hagen having to step in on occasion.
    “Yesterday one of the riders from another team said to Natnael Berhane ‘Get out of the way, you effing n
    ’. Just outrageous,” Ryder said.
    “And one of the biggest teams in the world last year in the Tour of Spain, when we trying to bring one of our riders to the front going into the mountains, said: ‘You guys don’t belong here, f--- off to the back of the bunch’. We have riders like Tyler and Edvald, riders who are well respected in the peloton, and they are their team-mates, and they say, ‘Hey guys, come on, these guys deserve to be here’.”
    Ryder added: “We have had massive support from the major team owners and bosses. Guys like Shayne Bannan, Dave Brailsford, Viacheslav Ekimov. Those guys love this team. They believe they should be here. But some of the riders are struggling to grasp what we are doing here. They are in the minority, I’m glad to say.”

I wish they would name and shame these f*cking riders and the UCI should massively fine them. This sort of behaviour could lead to criminal convictions so I don't see why the race organizers shouldn't also penalize people. Naming them would mean their fan base (if they even have one) gets smaller, plus their chance of getting a ride in another team (if the team's have a conscience).

I hope MTN tear the legs of those f*ckers when it comes to the mountains.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/tour-de-france/11730282/Tour-de-France-2015-Racism-row-ruins-African-teams-landmark-success.html

Ryder claimed that his riders had regularly had to battle prejudice and bullying in professional cycling, with the team’s non-African signings such as Tyler Farrar and Edvald Boasson-Hagen having to step in on occasion.
    “Yesterday one of the riders from another team said to Natnael Berhane ‘Get out of the way, you effing n
    “And one of the biggest teams in the world last year in the Tour of Spain, when we trying to bring one of our riders to the front going into the mountains, said: ‘You guys don’t belong here, f--- off to the back of the bunch’. We have riders like Tyler and Edvald, riders who are well respected in the peloton, and they are their team-mates, and they say, ‘Hey guys, come on, these guys deserve to be here’.”
    Ryder added: “We have had massive support from the major team owners and bosses. Guys like Shayne Bannan, Dave Brailsford, Viacheslav Ekimov. Those guys love this team. They believe they should be here. But some of the riders are struggling to grasp what we are doing here. They are in the minority, I’m glad to say.”

I wish they would name and shame these f*cking riders and the UCI should massively fine them. This sort of behaviour could lead to criminal convictions so I don't see why the race organizers shouldn't also penalize people. Naming them would mean their fan base (if they even have one) gets smaller, plus their chance of getting a ride in another team (if the team's have a conscience).

Don't they behave like that to the continental teams and each other on occasion as well?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Listening to white middle class middle aged men trying to avoid the word 'black' yesterday was quite funny though.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    wacist.gif
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310

It is, but it is very true, sadly.
    Poland for instance would only accept a small number of Christian Syrian refugees and not Muslims... and that's the offer from the Polish Government.
    left the forum March 2023
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    wacist.gif

This is going to get better with FF tells you his wife is Polish.

[And this is actually true]
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • lakinlakin
    lakinlakin Posts: 62
    See the post re Hamilton's tears?
    viewtopic.php?f=40088&t=13032093
    Fair comment or subtle racism?
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

I wouldn't't fancy getting on the wrong side of Edvald.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

Don't they behave like that to the continental teams and each other on occasion as well?

I think the second example is just sledging of what was a lower level team at the time. The first example though is blatant racism.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408

I think the second example is just sledging of what was a lower level team at the time. The first example though is blatant racism.

I thought exactly the same about the "don't deserve to be here" comment. It's just a bit of intimidation to try and create some doubt in the rider's mind. It's not too different to Cav having a moan about people who aren't true sprinters being up the sharp end of a sprint and allegedly making it more dangerous.
  • frenchfighter
    wacist.gif

Haha, I nearly pulled that card earlier :wink:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    4560.jpg

Good photo having fun on bikes. The comments would not be made to this guys face. It's just wrong to belittle another person and make them feel worthless, for whatever reason.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    wacist.gif

Next we'll be excusing FF for being homophobic because he lives with his boyfriend.

(This is likely not true)
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    The Baltic states and Polish especially I have found to be extremely racist. I hear it and see it every day at work. Nothing to be done about it, just hope that their kids, the ones brought up here, don't grow up the same.