Creaking forks - terminal

superkenners
superkenners Posts: 169
edited July 2015 in Workshop
I have a 2009 Allez which has developed a bit of a creak when I apply any sideways force to the bars.

Headset seems fine, nice and tight and no play but there is a bit of a worrying creak when applying any lateral force to the bars. I have about 20mm of spacers so there is a bit of flex. Was wondering if this could be a sign of expiring forks. They are carbon with alu steerer, had crashed the bike about three years ago but seemed to be no damage at the time (bike went sideways rather than being crashed into) have not put on a ton of miles since. This might just be paranoia having read too many posts about carbon being as strong as paper and not steel as we're led to believe!

Any thoughts appreciated.
Allez
Brompton
Krypton
T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Do forks expire? Surely they last more than 6 years. Somebody will be along to tell you that they have forks that are 15+ years old :)

Try giving everything a strip down and a clean. Apply some grease to all the surfaces. So bearing shells,frame cups,headset spacers,top cap and bolt etc. And also the top and bottom edges of the stem clamp. And the stem bolts too.

If you are using a star nut inside the fork maybe its coming loose.

If non of that works. Check your skewers or outer cables.
  • superkenners
    superkenners Posts: 169
    It was more worry possible damage from crash could manifest itself over time, if it was something hairline.

Will strip down and go through the routine and see how things shape up and hope nothing untoward happens on commute tomorrow as law of sod usually entails!

Thanks!
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Definitely worth whipping the fork out and checking the crown area for cracks. A friend of mine had creaking forks for about a week and then they just came apart at the crown under braking one morning.

Of course, it could just be that your stem is loose...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}