Campag Record 10sp indexing problem

brucey72
brucey72 Posts: 1,086
edited July 2015 in Workshop
my rear gears haven't been changing well and there seems to be a problem with the indexing.

When holding the gear cable in my hand and moving the lever as though to change gear there is a 'gap' at click 7 ie I can move the lever and it doesn't pull the cable. I have to move the lever again to pull the cable. There are no problems at all when pressing the thumb lever to release the cable in that it doesn't feel 'soft'.

do you think it's worn out? I have replaced the cable so I know that's not the problem

Thanks

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If the cables are OK - which clean downshift would indicate. Firstly, try a judicious squirt of WD40/GT85 in case it's simply dirt otherwise, it's likely that the ratchet/pawl mechanism in the lever is damaged, but can be a worn spring or broken carrier. The likes of Velotech can service the lever for about £25 or you can buy the parts and DIY is you fancy an evening of fiddly frustrations. Youtube clips might help.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    Thanks for the quick response. there is definitely a problem with the ratchet. I dug out an old centaur shifter and it works fine on my current set up. I have looked at the Diy vids and I'll be sending it to velotech as it looks a bit complicated for me.