Noob Question - Bottom Brackets

fingerpie
fingerpie Posts: 3
edited July 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Currently have an old 2008 voodoo bantu that has been converted and used as a commute bike. The bottom bracket has died - it has an ISIS bottom bracket on it. Now for the daft question, what are the options for bottom bracket, can I move away from ISIS? It's got FSA crank and the rings are pretty tired now so would like to change to a shimano crank if I can. Can't find any details of what exactly the bottom bracket spec on mine is.

Cheers
Neil

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You can fit whatever you want.

If you go for an external bearing set up you will need to get BB shell faced.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • fingerpie
    fingerpie Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply :)

There are so many standards on parts and I've never replaced crankset/bottom bracket before. Think I will do as you say and go external bearing and get shell faced.
  • Maybe I've just been lucky but I've gotten away without facing the BB shell on my bikes to date.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some frames are good, some dreadful, you can make an intelligent assessment of the risk by looking at it, my daughters frame was obviously so far off we would never have run external without facing, mine has obvious machine marks on the faces so we didn't bother.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.