Gearing Ratio

TheAbbeyFlyer
TheAbbeyFlyer Posts: 32
edited July 2015 in Road beginners
Hi folks,

First post on here!

Got myself a 2009 Bianchi via nirone 7 alu carbon 9sp compact sora.

I am upgrading(bug well and truely kicked in) to a tiagra 10speed cassette and crankset. **NOOB QUESTION ALERT**

Compact 50/34 with a 12-28 cassette is what im thinking! is this a balanced combo, abit of hill climbing but nothing to extreme!

thanks

Comments

• JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Really depends hugely on you fitness levels, but that sounds like a range that should cover most situations. What gearing have you currently got and how do you find it?
  • 50-36 compact with a 9sp cassette(not sure of ratio). But to be honest the bike hasnt been looked after by previous owner so just looking to tidy the bike up and start my cycling "journey" with something that can take most situations! want to use the bike as part of my fitness along with playing football once a week!

next on list is Wheels

Thanks for the reply
  • Really depends hugely on you fitness levels, but that sounds like a range that should cover most situations. What gearing have you currently got and how do you find it?

Forgot to add. does the crank arm length make a difference as the seem to come in different lengths which has me a bit confused
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Crank length can be an issue if you are very short and bought a bike with 175 mm cranks, it might develop some fysical complaints.
    Otherwise don't bother.
  • Crank length can be an issue if you are very short and bought a bike with 175 mm cranks, it might develop some fysical complaints.
    Otherwise don't bother.

ok cool one I was looking at was 172.5mm and im 5ft 8ish. so i guess that will be fine
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Sorry, maybe a stupid question but are you putting 10 speed shifters and derailleurs on? It's just that it sounds like you are doing cassette only..
  • Sorry, maybe a stupid question but are you putting 10 speed shifters and derailleurs on? It's just that it sounds like you are doing cassette only..

got 2nd hand 10sp tiagra shifters, new tiagra 10sp rear derailleur and front derailleur, trying to find a reasonably priced crankset, and cassette( want new for both these so just hunting around for the best deal)
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Crank length can be an issue if you are very short and bought a bike with 175 mm cranks, it might develop some fysical complaints.
    Otherwise don't bother.

ok cool one I was looking at was 172.5mm and im 5ft 8ish. so i guess that will be fine
    I've just changed crankset on one of my bikes. I'm also 5'8" and I had 175mm cranks on that bike and changed to 170mm which is better for my height.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    5'8" I would say you need 170mm. Just based on me being 5'6" and running 165mm

Note that your Sora crank should still work fine with Tiagra.