First gen Di2 has died - what to do?

ClaudeH
ClaudeH Posts: 78
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
My bike has got the old Dura Ace Di2. With depressing regularity it has played up for years. Every now and again it would stop working and then start again. LBS always said loose connections etc.

Anyway, I have just come back from the Marmotte and it is now officially dead, perhaps my less than ideal packing into the bikebox killed it. LBS agrees it is dead but says the problem is the old Di2 can't really be electronically diagnosed and anyway Shimano just don't make spares. So the question is what to do.

My frame is electronic only so that limits things. My thought is to get the new Ultegra Di2 groupset although I have no desire to change my dura ace brakes. Unfortunately as my existing groupset is 10 spd it seems I will need most of an entire new groupset. Do people think it makes sense to get a full new Ultegra groupset and sell the bits I don't need (brakes, anything else?) or to try and buy only the bits I need?

Claude

Comments

• rudivoller22
    rudivoller22 Posts: 492
    You can buy just the gear kit ultegra di2 for around £700 or dura ace di2 for around £1k which includes everything apart from crank and brakes. Merlin have them discounted as do a few other places. You could then use existing brakes and crank, though you'd probably need new chainrings that are 11speed. Seems easiest way to do it
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Electronic kits also come without cassette and chain. A 10speed chainset would work within an 11speed system, as the difference in chain width is very, very small.
  • ClaudeH
    Thanks for the replies and advice. From everything I have read a 10 speed crank works fine with an 11 speed chain so I think I will get the Ultegra gearing bits plus 11 speed cassette and chain and keep my DA brakes and cranks.

Pretty shoddy of Shimano to so deliberately enforce obsolescence on an expensive piece of kit.

Claude
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Assuming your rear hub will take an 11sp cassette?
  • ClaudeH
    Assuming your rear hub will take an 11sp cassette?

Yes, I just bought some new wheels and they are 11sp compatible.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Pretty shoddy of Shimano to so deliberately enforce obsolescence on an expensive piece of kit.

Yes, how dare they ditch a dated design that is difficult to work on and troubleshoot for a new one that is modular and cheaper thus giving the end user a better experience. :roll:

Market is flooded with 7970 parts, so it's not as if you're at a loss of options. Your LBS sounds rubbish as it's not that hard to figure out what's wrong (it's usually the wiring harness or rear mech) and you can find replacements for both (only the 7971 wiring harness is difficult to source). You can even solder broken connections if necessary.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    7970 wasnt all that old though. If Shimano were clever enough they would have released e-tube in the first place.

And cheaper ? So if your 7970 becomes faulty. You have to buy an upgrade kit or groupset AND 11 speed compatible wheels or freehub if you dont already own them. yeah ok. Why would you keep investing in a system that is gettng harder to fix or find replacements for ?
  • Grill
    7970 wasnt all that old though. If Shimano were clever enough they would have released e-tube in the first place.

And cheaper ? So if your 7970 becomes faulty. You have to buy an upgrade kit or groupset AND 11 speed compatible wheels or freehub if you dont already own them. yeah ok. Why would you keep investing in a system that is gettng harder to fix or find replacements for ?

Yes, eTubes Di2 is cheaper. If OP wants the easy upgrade route I have 6770 shifters and mechs laying about collecting dust...
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987

Yes, how dare they ditch a dated design that is difficult to work on and troubleshoot for a new one that is modular and cheaper thus giving the end user a better experience. :roll:

Market is flooded with 7970 parts, so it's not as if you're at a loss of options. Your LBS sounds rubbish as it's not that hard to figure out what's wrong (it's usually the wiring harness or rear mech) and you can find replacements for both (only the 7971 wiring harness is difficult to source). You can even solder broken connections if necessary.

Once shimano introduce a new updated product, they completely withdraw any support/existing spares for the older stuff, so when my 10sp DA wheels, after 1.5 years were deemed warranty replecement, they couldnt, nor would they supply the newer 11sp version.

I dont object to them updating products, that is normal but they should continue to supply spares, what about crash damage?
    Mavic continue to provide spares for up to 5 years after a product is ceased.

it shouldnt be up to the punter to search the EU and ebay for bits.

I can get new spares from Peugoet for my old 307, just as well :lol:
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979

What do you think they'll do with the bits your buying now in 4-5 years time?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    It's a shame... mechanical parts if properly serviced can last 20 years, but electronics are designed to fail, it is an integral part of how the electronics industry works.
    Get a mechanical groupset next time
    left the forum March 2023
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    It's a shame... mechanical parts if properly serviced can last 20 years, but electronics are designed to fail, it is an integral part of how the electronics industry works.

+1
  • Grill

Once shimano introduce a new updated product, they completely withdraw any support/existing spares for the older stuff, so when my 10sp DA wheels, after 1.5 years were deemed warranty replecement, they couldnt, nor would they supply the newer 11sp version.

I dont object to them updating products, that is normal but they should continue to supply spares, what about crash damage?
    Mavic continue to provide spares for up to 5 years after a product is ceased.

it shouldnt be up to the punter to search the EU and ebay for bits.

I can get new spares from Peugoet for my old 307, just as well :lol:

By law automotive manufacturers must provide spares long after they cease production. The cycling business is a whole different kettle of fish. Say what you will about Shimano, but at least I can source current parts. My last Mavic freehub took 2 months to arrive and I've been waiting over 3 months for a new freehub for my Fulcrum 5's.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382

No one with any knowledge of the electronics industry will agree with that.
    The car manufacturers supply spare parts because it is very profitable.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310

The electronics industry invented planned obsolescence
    I can't think of any electronic device that outlasts its plastic/metal container.
    Phones die because of the battery and then the display. Connections get oxidised and corroded and fail. transistors end up leaking charges, losing mobility, On/Off ratio (read performance)and malfunctioning.

Your car bearings are likely to outlast the electric motor that operates the electric windows, although the latter barely gets used in comparison.

Electronics are not designed to last if they are used.
    left the forum March 2023
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382

The electronics industry invented planned obsolescence
    I can't think of any electronic device that outlasts its plastic/metal container.
    Phones die because of the battery and then the display. Connections get oxidised and corroded and fail. transistors end up leaking charges, losing mobility, On/Off ratio (read performance)and malfunctioning.

Your car bearings are likely to outlast the electric motor that operates the electric windows, although the latter barely gets used in comparison.

Electronics are not designed to last if they are used.

The car manufacturers invented planned obsolescence.

Your statement `transistors end up leaking charges' confirms your lack of knowledge.
  • ClaudeH

+1

I would but my frame is electronic only (i have been told).