Friction Shifter Help

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited July 2015 in Workshop
Hi All,

On the final stages of getting my vintage Dawes ready for its Peak District tour. Its running as a 1 x 6 speed which is fine for what I need (the front mech and inner chain ring were toast). I have a NOS Suntour stem mounted friction shifter which I plan to install to replace the current aging rusted Shimano currently installed however just wanted to check a few things first.

1. The old worn out shifter is indexed can I still use the Suntour friction shifter as a replacement ?
2. Given that I plan to swap the current 14-28 6 speed freewheel to a 14-34 freewheel is that going cause and shifting issues ? Chain length is fine as I deliberately left the new chain a few links longer.
3. Assuming I fit the shifter with the lever set as far forward as poss (towards the bars) and have the mech in the smallest ring on the freewheel is it just a case of tightening the rear mech cable clamp in place under max hand tension ?

Advice please ?

Dan.

Comments

• mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    I should add that I am aware that the big 34t cog on the new freewheel would put undue stress on the chain when in use (big gear to big gear) but I only expect to use this combo for occasion use when needed, for 90% of the time I will be in the other gears so hopefully no issues.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    No problem with friction shifter as replacement for indexed. Moving from 14-28 six-speed to a 14-34 (seven-speed I assume) should also be fine with a friction shifter - you just use the two adjustment screws on rear mech to allow the chain to move far enough each side without over-shifting. You may have trouble getting onto biggest cog, however, if you are using a short cage rear mech.

To adjust cable, lever should be facing forward in the top gear position with chain on smallest cog. Pull cable taut, but not too tight, and clamp it on rear mech. Try a few shifts, go back into the top gear position and check how tight cable is again. It may need to be tightened up a tad more so there is no slack.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You might need to find an old MTB rear mech and even then it might struggle with a sprocket bigger than a 32 - the top jockey wheel may hit the big sprocket. Most old road mechs won't cope with anything bigger than 28 due to their geometry.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..