Help returning new bike that wasnt so new

macleod113
macleod113 Posts: 560
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

returning a bike this evening. sold as a display model frame and everything else was new.

collected it last week from the sellers son (seller wasnt available apparently) and as the light wasnt good in the hallway and it was raining i didnt give it a good look over till i got home(i know now i should have checked it).

there is a big paint chip in the downtube (carbon) so it looks like something has been dropped onto it or its fallen over.

the groupset has also obviously been used even if lightly but sold as new groupset.

i paid nearly new price and the seller invoiced me via paypal. im hoping if he plays silly beggars paypal can help me as he is already trying to blame me for the damage to the downtube (i packed the bike carefully on carpet in the boot home and covered it with a blanket.

any advice other than check the bleeding thing before leaving next time dumbass :)

thank you
Cube Cross 2016
Willier GTR 2014

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Private sale, you've got little or no chance and about the same comeback. Buyer beware and all that.

Worst of all, why pay nearly new price for something 'used' with no warranty or real chance of return or aftersales support?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,703
    any advice other than check the bleeding thing before leaving next time dumbass :)
    Unfortunately apart from the faint hope that the seller is a reasonable bloke I think this is the most likely thing you'll take from this. Good luck.
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    Name and shame him. Put his name up in lights all over social media with 'Don't buy from this man' plastered all over it. Encourage people to share the story with incentives and through good heart and the disbelief that someone could do this to another human being.

Or...chalk it down to experience and don't be such a div next time :D
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    Sorry I know this won't help but I never understood why some people put second hand bikes up for sale at marginal discounts from the new price, I couldn't believe people paid those prices. When you buy second hand you are buying risk as well as the bike and that has a value which should be subtracted from the price. I'd never dream of putting a second hand bike up for sale at anything but a sizeable discount, it's just the fair thing to do. As above you are going to struggle to build a legal argument around this since you had the opportunity to inspect and accept the bike as sold. Worth raising it with the seller certainly, but you need to try and persuade him that he's wrong and hope he's reasonable.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Think you might have to just take it as a lesson learned the hard way. :(
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,089
    Unfortunately apart from the faint hope that the seller is a reasonable bloke I think this is the most likely thing you'll take from this. Good luck.

yep, an expensive leason
  • macleod113
    Well thank the lord but the seller took the bike back and will refund me. he sells a lot of bikes on a certain auction website. lesson learned and thankfully all will be good in the world.
    to be fair the deal was very good. £1600 worth of bike for £1200 seemed a great deal and just in my budget.
    lesson learnt and i will now be searching for a 2015 bike in the sales me thinks.

thanks for the honesty guys
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,089
    Well thank the lord but the seller took the bike back and will refund me. he sells a lot of bikes on a certain auction website. lesson learned and thankfully all will be good in the world.
    to be fair the deal was very good. £1600 worth of bike for £1200 seemed a great deal and just in my budget.
    lesson learnt and i will now be searching for a 2015 bike in the sales me thinks.

great news
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Great result.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,703
    Good news, sounds like the seller is a decent bloke then. Enjoy the shopping for a new bike.
  • flappy
    flappy Posts: 21

Pleased it all got sorted but for others help if he ".... sells a lot of bikes on a certain auction website." he is not a private seller. He is classed in law as a trade seller and as such the buyer does have rights.

However as others have pointed out, being careful is the no.1 defence.
  • macleod113
    Well, thankfully the refund went through with a slight amount taken for damage i'm sure i didnt cause. given the fact i didnt check it fully in the first place i took the hit and will learn from this.

on the plus side i found a bargain Willier GTR Ultegra from Winstanley Bikes for only a little more so its all worked out ok in the end :D
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014