Queen Elizabeth Country Park, Hampshire

nasha48
nasha48 Posts: 231
edited August 2015 in Routes
Can anyone tell me if the trails at Queen Elizabeth Country Park, Petersfield, Hants are worth a trip to for the day? It's about 1.5 hrs drive for me and mates and just wondered how it stacks up when compared to, for instance, the thoroughly enjoyable trails in the Forest of Dean nr Wales?

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I've never been but quite a few from this site have so you could post a question here, http://www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk/forum.html
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Can anyone tell me if the trails at Queen Elizabeth Country Park, Petersfield, Hants are worth a trip to for the day? It's about 1.5 hrs drive for me and mates and just wondered how it stacks up when compared to, for instance, the thoroughly enjoyable trails in the Forest of Dean nr Wales?

1.5 from the New Forest? An hour max, even if you're down in the darkest reaches.

It's short and sweet climbs and descents, a good mix of trail types and the variety is big enough to keep you occupied for a few hours. There is plenty of "off piste" riding just outside the park that's as good or better so if you really want to beast yourselves there's sections of the SDW and all the trails off of that. All in all it's a good place for a days riding.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • nasha48
    Many thanks for replies guys, appreciated. Yeh, I suppose an hours drive is a bit more reasonable - I threw in a brief pub stop on route :)

Very helpful, does sound like it's worth checking out after all.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Went a few months ago. The best I can say about it is it makes Swinley seem a lot better. It's flat, the trails are boring and unimaginative, one of the least inspiring places I have ridden.
    I wouldn't bother.
  • nasha48
    Interesting, thanks. Other than Swinley, where else is worth a visit down south within reasonable distance (say 1.5hrs drive)? I heard there's some trails worth doing in Salisbury area? And I have been to the South Downs before which was decent in parts.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Went a few months ago. The best I can say about it is it makes Swinley seem a lot better. It's flat, the trails are boring and unimaginative, one of the least inspiring places I have ridden.
    I wouldn't bother.

You think QE makes Swinley seem better? Are you sure you have that the right way around? It's got a lot more climbing, descending than Swinley.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I wouldn't bother.

You think QE makes Swinley seem better? Are you sure you have that the right way around? It's got a lot more climbing, descending than Swinley.

Yes but it's still even more s**t than Swinley.
  • booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    Give it a go. If you don't like it then Kingley Vale is only a 15-20 minute drive from QECP.
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/