New MTB for a Beginner

Tombm
Tombm Posts: 10
edited July 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hello.

Just fell in love with the bike world one year ago when moved to Cambridge to study. At the beginning i just had a cheap raleigh to ride with, but now, i would like to upgrade to a better Mountain Bike. My budget is around £150-175 because probably most of you are aware, there are alot of bikes being nicked in this town.

Saw this coyote on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271923130525?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT and the Seller wants £190 for it as final price. What are you thoughts on this?

Shall i wait and save a little bit more and go a better option?

Regards
T

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For riding around town I'd buy a cheap hack bike, do basic maintenance and keep it looking as worthless as possible, that is exactly what I have for a town hack bike it looks like its worth about £20.

The Coyote is OK, but the forks are very basic and are worse to ride than a rigid fork (heavier and offer no benefit). I wouldn't pay £190 for it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Tombm
    For riding around town I'd buy a cheap hack bike, do basic maintenance and keep it looking as worthless as possible, that is exactly what I have for a town hack bike it looks like its worth about £20.

The Coyote is OK, but the forks are very basic and are worse to ride than a rigid fork (heavier and offer no benefit). I wouldn't pay £190 for it.

Thanks for replying. I'm only afraid of investing on a good MTB and then get stolen after a few days. How much would you offer for the coyote?
  • The Rookie
    About £120 is what I think it's worth. But I wouldn't buy it myself anyway, I'd get an older better bike for using when appropriate and a cheap hack for town, my first hack bike cost me £5.50, since been pensioned off.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Keep the Raleigh to ride around town and buy a decent MTB. Keep that in your room.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Tombm
    About £120 is what I think it's worth. But I wouldn't buy it myself anyway, I'd get an older better bike for using when appropriate and a cheap hack for town, my first hack bike cost me £5.50, since been pensioned off.

I'll keep an eye for what comes up on eBay or Gumtree and ask for opinions then.
  • Tombm
    Just saw this Scott Hybrid to use to ride in Town. And then i would save for the BTwin 520. Opinion on this scott?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/scott-sportster-p4-hybrid-bike-with-large-frame-ie-suits-men-6-/1124278914
  • The Rookie
    Stolen, that's far to cheap, only someone who stole it would sell it that cheap, and it's very likely to get taken again when you leave it in town!
  • cooldad
    Easy enough to check, and I don't think it's worth much more than that anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Tombm
    Stolen, that's far to cheap, only someone who stole it would sell it that cheap, and it's very likely to get taken again when you leave it in town!

Shall avoid? Or just..take the risk.

Thanks again for replying.
  • cooldad
    Doesn't look like your average pikey back garden, seems like a legit reason for selling.
    The Rookie is just a bitter old man who sees the worst in everyone.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Tombm
    I've offered him £100. Let's see how it goes. Shall be ok for town and then invest on a MTB. Probably a Btwin 520 as i've seen here in the forum they are pretty good for the price.
  • Tombm
    It's seems someone is already going to see the bike today. Anyway he accepted £100 if it falls through. :o:lol: