Is a Condor Fratello Disc a silly 1st bike?

Thigh_burn
Thigh_burn Posts: 489
edited August 2015 in Road beginners
I've fallen for the Fratello Disc, having convinced myself it is the perfect bike for my needs.

But am I simply wasting good money, getting my first road bike for that sort of money? I haven't ridden for many years and want something that's going to last, be fun and allow me to do mainly road, but a little bit of mucking around with the kids as well on unpaved paths.

Finally, I've looked at the likes of the Canyon Endurance etc, but feel very uncomfortable buying something not having ridden it first or having someone talk me through it all. I like the Genesis Equilibrium range, but again have convinced myself that by spending a little bit more I can get a unique Canyon.

So ultimately, I'm looking to either be talked out of this, or given power to my elbow to buy it.

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    It's a very sensible first bike. Most people jump in with a full on roadie but getting something with mud-guards etc. should see you through all conditions nicely.

Then next year, if you still like it, you can get the nice summer bike ;)
  • 2oldnslow
    2oldnslow Posts: 313
    +1

I'd say it's a very sensible choice. About 4 years ago I bought a Singular Peregrine frame-set and built it up with mostly bits and pieces (apart from the disc brakes) I had lying around. Since then I've happily covered many thousands of miles on it and have become a total disc brake wider tyres convert.

I've lighter bikes but more often than not the Singular is the one I pull out of the shed. Even with 40c tyres it rolls well enough, if with a little more effort, which to my mind is a good thing and I've happily done 100+ miles days on it.

So yes I'd say you're unlikely to be disappointed by the Fratello

good luck
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Columbus Spirit for 700 quid seems a very good deal
    left the forum March 2023
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    No.

I would argue that this is a silly first bike:

http://www.firetoys.co.uk/unicycles/specials/penny-farthing.html
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Thigh_burn
    Thanks for the replies. I'll be sure to steer clear of penny farthings and unicycles.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    It's a superb first bike. In fact it would be nice if many more people bought first bikes like that and then moved onto exotica. It will encourage you to ride and get you out in all weathers.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    It's a fine choice by the looks of it. Enjoy!
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    I bought a fratello (non-disk) a month or so ago, I chose all the build myself, spent £1200 all in. I put 105 on it, I recon a basic build for it is £900. I wish after having carbon road, TT, general bike and single speed that I'd bought it years ago. Don't hesitate, buy.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    You won't find any arguments against it from me.

I've a Fratello and Tempo and they're superb frames that can turn their hand to just about anything.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Looks good to me but price wise its knocking on the door of a Ritchey Swiss Cross Disc F&F...
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Looks good to me but price wise its knocking on the door of a Ritchey Swiss Cross Disc F&F...

Yeah, but the Condor is a proper road bike rather than a cross bike (not that it makes too much difference) and has eyelets for guards and a rack making it a lot more practical.

I'm very tempted myself but I've got a hankering for getting something similar made by Rourke.
  • bmxboy10

Yeah, but the Condor is a proper road bike rather than a cross bike (not that it makes too much difference) and has eyelets for guards and a rack making it a lot more practical.

I'm very tempted myself but I've got a hankering for getting something similar made by Rourke.

Yeah if they are local to you (which I assume they are) go for it!
  • bendertherobot
    Hey, clearly the Ritchey Swiss Cross Disc is the best bike on the planet. Clearly. But, for a first bike, I'd go Fratello Disc.

When you add another get the Ritchey.
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    Power to your elbow.
    I saw one in the flesh on their shop floor yesterday and it is just lovely to look at.
  • bmxboy10
    Putting a deposit down on Monday. Whats the stock colour like in the flesh? Not sure I want to pay £125 for a different colour. Just need someone to buy my wheels in the for sale section!
  • Thigh_burn
    Putting a deposit down on Monday. Whats the stock colour like in the flesh? Not sure I want to pay £125 for a different colour. Just need someone to buy my wheels in the for sale section!

Personally, I'm no great fan of the stock colour. It's a 'Cadbury' purple and I'm not sure it does it justice.
  • bendertherobot
    Get the stock colour, black or keep it dark. Unless you can get the fork painted for that £125 as well?

In which case, get a red or orange one.
  • bmxboy10
    Get the stock colour, black or keep it dark. Unless you can get the fork painted for that £125 as well?

In which case, get a red or orange one.

Deposit went down yesterday. Went for stock colour as to be honest non of the colour options particularly stood out. I would have gone blue anyway so didn't see the pint in paying £125 for another shade of blue that I didn't particularly love. Need to sell my to the bike now!
  • Thigh_burn
    Deposit went down...
    Ditto. Very excited.

I do wonder though, is it reasonable to expect any freebies/discounts to be chucked in? I know it's not an off the peg bike and therefore their business model is predicated on the bespoke structure, but given the expense, a little something would be great. I'm thinking for example they could throw in the mudguards/bottle cages/bottles or a tool, or some discount on shoes. Something like that.
  • Deposit went down...
    Ditto. Very excited.

I do wonder though, is it reasonable to expect any freebies/discounts to be chucked in? I know it's not an off the peg bike and therefore their business model is predicated on the bespoke structure, but given the expense, a little something would be great. I'm thinking for example they could throw in the mudguards/bottle cages/bottles or a tool, or some discount on shoes. Something like that.

You can only ask? Given that the build options show parts at or near RRP I would guess there's a little room for negotiation even after the labour cost of building it?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I absolutely adore my Fratello - so much so that I've taken the shiny upgrades off my other bike (an alu Defy) and put them on my Condor instead, and I'm going back to using the Defy with mudguards as a winter bike and using my Condor for other stuff.

Eyeing up a nice shiny Campag groupset for it (can't afford it though).

Bought it for touring and winter riding, I'll still use it for touring and while it's a great winter bike (clearance for full mudguards and big tyres), it seems a shame to get such a nice frame covered in road salt when I have a perfectly serviceable cheap bike that takes 'guards (the Defy only cost £100 more as a full bike than the Condor does frame-only).

It just feels so nice to ride. I've done a few hundred milers on both (and a 250km on the Condor) and the Condor is much more comfortable and less buzzy (even with the stiff Campag Zonda wheels on it), it may be marginally heavier (probably about 0.5kg with identical build) but it's not really noticeable. I also think the fit is a bit better which probably makes a difference.
  • bobmcstuff
    Also, when you get it I expect to see photos. What build have you gone with?
  • bmxboy10
    I am going F&F only as I want to build the bike myself. I asked the nice man for a discount and he said no!

Just ordered wheels and finishing kit for mine and will be going 11 speed 105. Just need to decide how to proceed with the brake options. Missed out on a Ultegra hydraulic GS on line that was selling for £560 last week - gutted!

How long did they tell you the wait would be - 6 weeks?
  • Thigh_burn
    I went with Campagnolo Athena groupset w/TRP brakes and Mavic Aksium wheels. I'll need to lose though decals.

I'll post photos if I can figure out how and when the thing eventually arrives.
  • bobmcstuff
    They told me it was going to be around 5 weeks from payment, but looking at the emails it was under a month between my first enquiry and getting the bike in the end, and that included cyclescheme faff too. Time between me getting my cyclescheme voucher to them and the bike arriving was under 2 weeks. Was a pleasant surprise!

Mine's just got Tiagra on it, which is totally fine functionally but I want something more bling... Looking at Chorus but can't really justify it. Just went with the cheap Condor wheels which are good and robust for touring, but I normally run it with my Zondas for regular riding.
  • bmxboy10
    They told me it was going to be around 5 weeks from payment, but looking at the emails it was under a month between my first enquiry and getting the bike in the end, and that included cyclescheme faff too. Time between me getting my cyclescheme voucher to them and the bike arriving was under 2 weeks. Was a pleasant surprise!

Mine's just got Tiagra on it, which is totally fine functionally but I want something more bling... Looking at Chorus but can't really justify it. Just went with the cheap Condor wheels which are good and robust for touring, but I normally run it with my Zondas for regular riding.

Pics! :!:
  • bobmcstuff
    It's got a thread! viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12984261

I'm not running the Brooks at the moment, it keeps going out of shape when it gets wet which is really annoying (and painful after a while). Currently using the Toupe off the other bike, but might get a Cambium.
  • No.

I would argue that this is a silly first bike:

http://www.firetoys.co.uk/unicycles/specials/penny-farthing.html

and I would argue somethin like this:

funny-bicycle-made-in-pakistan.jpg

More seriously, if you know you will be into it then go all out. Budget stuff will more likely be unpleasant. Pay more and get something really nice and there for more desire to use it and therefore you are getting more value for your money. Nothing wrong with spending £700 on a first bike IMO.