Brake surface cracks

Rubystar
Rubystar Posts: 10
edited July 2015 in Workshop
Can anyone tell me whether all wheel rim braking surfaces on road bike wheels have a seam in them? I noticed a 5mm long crack in the brake surface of one of my Mavic Aksium wheels which had a raised edge. I have noticed on a spare wheel (which is not a Mavic wheel), that this wheel has what appears to be a seam or join across the entire width of the brake surface, meaning the brake surface on a wheel is not a constant surface and is instead seamed. Is this normal?

Do all wheel rim brake surfaces have these seams, and if they are raised into a sharp edge, is this likely to slice the brake pads where they touch the surface?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Yes there is a join on Al, rims unless machined from a solid hoop.

Some joins are welded and then ground. Some have glued inserts and then have the braking surface ground. Some have welded inserts some don't have the raking surface ground after joining.

Having a join mark is quite normal.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Rubystar
    Rubystar Posts: 10

Some joins are welded and then ground. Some have glued inserts and then have the braking surface ground. Some have welded inserts some don't have the raking surface ground after joining.

Hi. Thanks for the answer. Is there a simple fix for a raised join edge? If it feels a bit sharp and very obvious to my finger, my guess is that under pressure from a brake pad its going to start shaving the pad?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If it worries you, take a fine file or a bit of emery paper to it. You'd only be doing what braking on wet, gritty rims would do anyway...

But keep an eye on it; sometimes the rim joints do fail.
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240

Hi. Thanks for the answer. Is there a simple fix for a raised join edge? If it feels a bit sharp and very obvious to my finger, my guess is that under pressure from a brake pad its going to start shaving the pad?

I had a simelar issue with a wheel a few years ago where the seam appeared to be separating. I took it back to the shop I bought from and they agreed to replace it. If you can post up a picture.

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD