Rear pads contaminated with chain oil

mattyfez
mattyfez Posts: 638
edited August 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
They still work but not much bite, locking the wheel is not possible though.. Is it worth trying to clean or just buy new pads?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Remove them and clean everything with w suitable brake ckeaner and then fit new pads.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    buy new pads and clean rotor in hot soapy (fairy) water
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    buy new pads and clean rotor in hot soapy (fairy) water

Mummy Mummy why are your hands so soft.....?

.....because I'm twelve.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • mattyfez
    Thanks, I'll slap some new pads on it and clean the rotors.
    I have some Isopropyl alcohol that I use for cleaning electronic stuff in my job, I guess that's good for brake rotors?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Very good for cleaning rotors.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Don't waste your time ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oil and pads don't mix.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    It might, it probably won't.

There was a reason you lot were deported, and it wasn't rocket science.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mattyfez
    I cleaned the disks with Iso, fitted new pads, all is good lol!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have had success recovering pads by soaking in petrol for 24 hours a good wipe with kitchen towel and then baking in the oven on max for 30 minutes. I then keep them as emergency spares.

Cyd's idea can work but only if you can generate enough friction to create heat, if the contamination level is too high then no friction and no heat generated!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I have had success recovering pads by soaking in petrol for 24 hours a good wipe with kitchen towel and then baking in the oven on max for 30 minutes. I then keep them as emergency spares.

Cyd's idea can work but only if you can generate enough friction to create heat, if the contamination level is too high then no friction and no heat generated!

I had success by heating the pads up on the flame off my gas cooker, you could see the oil burning off.

Pads are cheap if you buy them in the bundle offers to risk messing around trying to make them useable.
  • Becareful as IPA can damage paint / decals etc.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Paint damaged by alcohol? Blimey it would probably wash off with water then!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mattyfez
    Isopropyl evaporates so quickly I doubt you could damage the paint work with it even if you spilled a load.. I think you'd have to literally scrub the frame with it to cause any problems. It's great for cleaning metal stuff but I'd probably not use it on plastics or rubbers.
  • cooldad
    It's fine for pretty much anything, including delicate electrical components.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • It's fine for pretty much anything, including delicate electrical components.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly this it is good enough to use on ESD BGA packages SMT components to as small as you like and evaporates so quickly. Use it daily for electronics and for the bike no problem on paint at all, I clean the forks using the stuff.
  • Incorrect.

I use IPA almost everyday, it can damage paint, it's happened to me. Early Marzocchi Bombers have been affected by it, also things you've painted from rattle cans.
    It's good at dissolving ink as well so as I said previously, don't use it near bare decals or anything printed.

Just because it hasn't happened with you doesn't mean it doesn't happen, because it has happened with me means it does happen......