Need help buying my first mountain bike!

kma335
kma335 Posts: 5
edited July 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, I've been trying to find the best mountain bike I could find under my budget. I don't want to spend over 900, and I already have a few bikes in mind. I just want to know which bike has the best parts, and which is the best bang per buck. I don't know much about parts, so I was hoping the forums could help me out :) I will be using this bike for bike trails, city riding, and maybe some trail riding. I plan to go biking quite often as well.

These are the choices I have so far:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/talon.29er/18770/76227/#specifications

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/rockhopper/rockhopper-sport-29#specs

http://www.diamondback.com/bikes-mountain-trail-hardtail-overdrive-sport

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/sport/marlin/marlin_7/#

http://www.cannondale.com/nam_en/2015/bikes/mountain/trail-hardtails/trail/trail-5

I do prefer the 29 inch wheels, and please help me list them in order from best to worst, or atleast in terms of parts and worth.

Thanks for your time!

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Why do you want 29" wheels? Not all 29ers ride the same.
    I would avoid big brands at this price. Boardman, Canyon and Radon bikes are loads better
  • kma335
    I like the big size of them, and 27.5's look small to me. I also like to ride fast, and from my past experiences, my pedals on 27.5 bikes always skid the ground when turning. Not saying it's the case for all 27.5's, but that's why 29ers are my preference. Which bikes would you recommend from those brands and why are they better?

I only chose those brands because they seem to be the most well known, and I figured they'd have the best quality. I could be wrong!
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    Well known brands such as those you have listen will often produce entry level bikes with high quality frames built up with lower spec components such as forks and wheels, which will make a big difference at this price point.

Direct sales brands such as Canyon and Radon forego any costs of dealers and distributors, so you end up getting more spec for your money. Furthermore, they've been around for long enough now to also have frame design pretty much dialled too. The only drawback is that without dealers, you can't try the bikes before committing to purchasing them.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • rockmonkeysc
    If anything you will get better cornering from 27.5" wheels. 29ers tend to be slower to turn and not good in tight turns.
    The advantage of 29" wheels is they are marginally better over rough (but not too rough) ground. 29" wheels can flex a lot unless they are very good.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Have a look at a voodoo bizango for £600 or less in the sales. Check the reviews and it will leave some money for tools and bike clothing. The drawback of direct sales is you can't try the bike for size and don't get a free service.

Even better value is second hand.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If anything you will get better cornering from 27.5" wheels. 29ers tend to be slower to turn and not good in tight turns.
    The advantage of 29" wheels is they are marginally better over rough (but not too rough) ground. 29" wheels can flex a lot unless they are very good.

It does depend how and where you ride. Most trails are fine for either.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Have a look at a voodoo bizango for £600 or less in the sales. Check the reviews and it will leave some money for tools and bike clothing. The drawback of direct sales is you can't try the bike for size and don't get a free service.

Even better value is second hand.

That Voodoo is as good as any of the bikes in the links from the OP and considerably cheaper.
  • codfather
    +1 on the Bizango. I have last year's model and it's a superb bike, this year's is even better spec. Must be said though, it's not as much of a looker as the old one
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • kma335
    I'd like to stick to the ones I've already laid out. I think they are good enough for what I need them for. I just need help on figuring out which bike is the best out of the ones I listed.

Thanks again for the input
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    None offer very good bang per buck, as you put it, so just pick the prettiest one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    They are all poor bikes for the money, you pay for the names. You can get much better bikes for a lot less money .
  • kma335
    Hmm okay. So other than the voodoo, what other bikes are around my price range that are well built? How is this canyon grand canyon al 29 5.9?

Thanks
  • rockmonkeysc
    Look at Canyon, Radon, Rose and Boardman hardtails.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    , my pedals on 27.5 bikes always skid the ground when turning.!
    The BB height on 29ers is the same (or at least not necessarily different - they run more BB drop from axle height to compensate for the bigger wheels) as 26 or 27 bikes, so learn to ride properly as a 29er won't fix poor technique for you.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well known brands such as those you have listen will often produce entry level bikes with high quality frames
    Nope, they use cheaper frames on cheaper bikes, compare a Rockhopper frame to a Carrera one (made in the same factory on the same line by the same people) and it's pretty much identical in terms of geometry, weight and riding feel, if anything the Carrera frame is the better of the two.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • codfather
    Poor wording on my part there; was trying to emphasize the use of lower spec components than the frame warrants rather than suggest that the frames are anything particularly magical. With brands like these^^^ many of your hard earned pounds go towards the name painted on the downtube, hence why you're better off with direct sales, smaller brands (occasionally) or even better, second hand.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike