deleted...

creamofthecrop
creamofthecrop Posts: 4
edited December 2019 in Road beginners

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Sounds like you didn't test your FTP properly.
    I find the best way to test it is from a 25 mile TT but short of that, a 20 minute test. (Google 20 minute FTP test...)
    As far as 5s power goes, sprinting is the best way for this. If you are just interested in the numbers then do it from a slow start. However I wouldn't bother working on this unless you are racing. I'd concentrate on just riding your bike for a while before worrying about specific numbers.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Hello. I'm a week-old newbie to cycling.

I recently purchased a roadie with the Pioneer pedaling monitor system, and naturally I got hooked on numbers. Last week, I did a few all out effort on the street to measure my FTP, and the result was quite miserable 230W, considering my weight. However, I don't mind the FTPs right now because i'm pretty sure that the numbers will increase if my projects succeed(i.e. quit smoking and losing 70 lbs).

But I do mind the fact that my current maximum 1s/5s/15s power is kinda low (which was in the range of 1500-1550W/1450-1500W/1150-1200W respectively, from all 5 of my previous ridings) for my weight, and I want to increase them FAST because once I reach normal weight, I might not be able to renew the short-term power records. I know it is meaningless but I want to make some personal-records before I lose too much weight.

How do I improve my short-term peak power numbers? I'm kinda lost about the appropriate cadence, gear ratio, road gradient, pedaling mechanism, nutrition and so on. What I'm doing now is basically standing up (when i see the slightly graded, unpopulated road) and pushing the pedals as hard/fast as I can with gear ratio of 50x15t or 50x17t. Sometimes my cadence goes way up so I couldn't keep up with the pace with some energy left, and sometimes my legs were screaming to stop so that I couldn't continue the effort. I couldn't figure out what's the way to go, high cadence or low cadence.

Any advice would be appreciated. But I'm kinda hoping I could get some technique-wise tips because training-wise tips are going to be useless soon since I'm losing my weight fast right now(5-8lbs/week). Thank you.
    May one presume you're kidding/trolling?
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Next post will be that his average speed is only 20mph?
  • creamofthecrop
    edited August 2019
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Hello. I'm a week-old newbie to cycling.

This is why you are getting quizzical replies and because of your admission
    I'm kinda lost about the appropriate cadence, gear ratio, road gradient, pedaling mechanism, nutrition and so on

There is nothing wrong with trying to get better at cycling but you are going entirely the wrong way about it. Try to get through to winter still riding.
  • stretchy
    stretchy Posts: 149
    I don't see why you'd want to set a PB that you managed purely because of your weight... If you lose a lot of weight you may never be able to hit those numbers again, which would probably be demoralising.

And why do you think your numbers are low? Compared to other one week old cycling newbies?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    Not sure why I'm getting this kind of response...

well, this may explain...
    I know it is meaningless but I want to make some personal-records before I lose too much weight.

...you're asking people to donate time, expertise and effort for the sake of your vanity

come with a sensible objective, you'll find plenty of people willing to help

fwiw i dropped at least 200w peak power vs. where i started, but now i'd thrash my old self, i know which is more important to me
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • creamofthecrop
    edited August 2019
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    It's such a daft goal I don't think anyone wants to give any serious advice to it.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not sure if serious.

Actually, I am sure....
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    For a newcomer with little training those figures seem rather high to say the least. My current FTP is only 198 coming back from injury but I have been riding and racing for about 17 years. I would hope to get it up to around 240 before the end of the season. My highest recorded wattage was 958 for 8 seconds. This was doing 40+ mph at 150 rpm cadence. I am by far the best sprinter in my group. My problem is getting to the sprint with the group and they all know this. :(