Mini Pump that actually inflates tyres??

jaylfc147
jaylfc147 Posts: 49
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Just after replacing my specialized mini pump which is good for about 20 psi tops! Anyone recommend a decent mini hand pump?

Regards

James

Comments

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,235
    Mini to get it almost there and a blast of CO2?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Topeak Mini Dual DXG has served me well again and again as i don't need to go much above 100psi:
    http://www.topeak.com/products/pumps/minidxg

There's a higher pressure model out weighing the same 170g that i have not tried:
    http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/PocketShockDXG
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    I have a Lezyne Pressure Drive Mini in a small. Can get it to about 80 psi which is enough to get me home.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Topeak Pocket Rocket. Designed for road bike high pressure tyres rather than many mini pumps that are more suited for low pressure mountain bike tyres. It's small, light, solidly constructed from metal and fits in a jersey back pocket. Claimed to be able to reach 160 psi but you would need to be a gorilla to achieve that. However, if you get a flat on the road it will get your tyres back up to 90 or so pretty easily.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    On the carbon bike I have a Lezyne mini HP pump which if you keep pumping is good for 100 psi. I also like the screw-on flexible hose. Very light, and fits in little bracket under the bottle cage; unobtrusive and I never forget to take it.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-hp-drive-abs-pump/

On the winter bike I have a Topeak Road Morph. Operates like a mini track pump, so possible to get over 100 psi. Flexible hose with an inline gauge, but a clamp-on connector. For 2 years it was my only pump, so it saw a lot of use and it's still going strong after 8 years.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-road-morph-with-gauge/
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,150
    lezyne road drive, medium, the short hose makes it much easier to apply force than pumps that have to be held in position on the valve

easy to get 6 bar, 7 bar with more effort

btw i've got the carbon fibre version, nice and light, but the downside is the metal bit at the end gets HOT due to cf not conducting heat as well as the metal versions
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • jaylfc147
    jaylfc147 Posts: 49
    Wow, thanks a lot for the quick responses, some great options there will have a look around now and get one ordered.

Cheers, James
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    lezyne road drive, medium, the short hose makes it much easier to apply force than pumps that have to be held in position on the valve

easy to get 6 bar, 7 bar with more effort

btw i've got the carbon fibre version, nice and light, but the downside is the metal bit at the end gets HOT due to cf not conducting heat as well as the metal versions

Wot 'e said!

In my experience you can't go wrong with the road drive. If you can be bothered carrying a CO2 canister or two that may be useful but I found them a bit tempermental/ unpredictable - probably because I am useless with technical stuff!

Peter
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I use a Topeak Pocket Rocket too, specifically the model below. I'm happy to recommend it, although I don't have experience of any other mini pumps. I have used it on a number of occasions on the roadside when inflating a new tube after a puncture and it has given me enough pressure at not too great an effort to continue my ride.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/pocketrocketdx2
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Lezyne Road Drive Mini for the win +++
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Gas is your friend. Effective pumping and lightweight/small size aren't really compatible bed fellows..
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Decathlon ,Btwin mini pump,£2.50. The best little pump I have ever used. You can change valve type by reversing a bit of rubber in the connector. I used it after a puncture today at the roadside. Full pressure no problem.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Gas is your friend. Effective pumping and lightweight/small size aren't really compatible bed fellows..

You will need a pump whatever though so why not carry a decent one! I have been on too many group rides where someone produced a CO2 canister... only to muck up the application so we needed a pump after all.

My vote also goes for the Pocket or Race Rocket, or the Road Morph. The Lezyne Road Drives look good but the medium is just too small (I got w*nkers cramp before it got anywhere near the required pressure). I have also had problems with the "large" Lezyne when the flexihose corroded and became stuck in the top...luckily I was riding with others at the time so had a plan B.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    I ignore the vanity of using one of those pencil-size pumps and use a Zefal HPX.
  • +1 for the Lezyne Pressure Drive small http://goo.gl/McAkw1. Best mini pump ever. Good enough for 80+ psi without too much trouble
  • antonyfromoz
    antonyfromoz Posts: 482
    +1 for the Lezyne Pressure Drive small http://goo.gl/McAkw1. Best mini pump ever. Good enough for 80+ psi without too much trouble

Just a quick word of warning for anyone using the Lezyne pressure drive pumps - and it might also relate to other similar pumps too - if your tube has screw in valves then make sure that they are tightly screwed in. There is nothing worse than taking the time and effort to bring the wheel up to an acceptable pressure only to hear the air rushing out as the valve unscrews when the flexible pump hose is removed. On one trip I finally gave up trying to replace the inner tube with a new one and repaired the old one as each time I removed the hose the valve unscrewed. I check all my inner tubes to make sure that the valves are thoroughly tight when i install them now.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123

You will need a pump whatever though so why not carry a decent one! I have been on too many group rides where someone produced a CO2 canister... only to muck up the application so we needed a pump after all.

My vote also goes for the Pocket or Race Rocket, or the Road Morph. The Lezyne Road Drives look good but the medium is just too small (I got w*nkers cramp before it got anywhere near the required pressure). I have also had problems with the "large" Lezyne when the flexihose corroded and became stuck in the top...luckily I was riding with others at the time so had a plan B.

After first reading your warning I have greased the threads at both ends of the flexible hose; hopefully this will make corrosion less likely. I also periodically use the thing just to be sure.