Mavic Crossline ITS-4 9 speed to 10 speed failed conversion

sobol
sobol Posts: 33
edited July 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

I'm trying to upgrade my Mavic Crossline wheel from 9 speed to 10 speed.
Originally there was ITS-4 freehub and 9 speed cassette PG980.
( link to my free hub http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mavic/crossmax-its4-freehub-body-shimano-ec049649 )

I've purchased new 10 speed SRAM PG1070 Cassette and 10 speed chain, fitted the cassette but when I tighten up the holding bolt even with lightest torque i.e. with my fingers the cassette won't spin backwards( won't freewheel ), this is even without the wheel being fitted. Also I do the lock ring to specified torque.

Is this some spacer issue? I've noticed that there are two spacers between block of biggest cogs and small singular cosgs, then there is one spacer for each singular cog of PG1070.

Also the new chain is two links longer then original 9 speed chain I had. Is right to have those extra two links with considerably bigger cog's cassette that PG1070 is to PG980?

Thanks,
Lapierre Spicy 316 2011, No lockout, 2x9 gears

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Size the chain correctly, not by guesswork, big/big missing out the rear mech, overlap by one full pair of links.

IF you have gone from an 11:34 to an 11:36 AND the chain was sized correctly before, then yes you should need an extra pair (one inner set, one outer).

Are you saying the Cassette wont freewheel before fitting the wheel in the bike, or once assembled with the chain fitted?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ok something is wrong here. as above size the chain correctly.

a Sram 10spd cassette is the same width as a 9spd so is a direct swap. and how tight has no effect on the bearings.

sram normally only has 1 spacer between each loose cog where required.

check that the lock ring (if you are not using the original) is not fouling on the axel.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sobol
    ok something is wrong here. as above size the chain correctly.

a Sram 10spd cassette is the same width as a 9spd so is a direct swap. and how tight has no effect on the bearings.

sram normally only has 1 spacer between each loose cog where required.

check that the lock ring (if you are not using the original) is not fouling on the axel.

I'm under impression that the 10 speed is slightly wider then 9 speed, but I didn't measure it.
    This also happen if lock ring is barley tighten, i.e. done with fingers.
    As to the spacers, all singular cogs have one spacer, but the biggest block of them has two.
    Size the chain correctly, not by guesswork, big/big missing out the rear mech, overlap by one full pair of links.

IF you have gone from an 11:34 to an 11:36 AND the chain was sized correctly before, then yes you should need an extra pair (one inner set, one outer).

Are you saying the Cassette wont freewheel before fitting the wheel in the bike, or once assembled with the chain fitted?

Won't freewheel even when it's not mounted yet, it's enough I use my finger and it won't spin backwards as it should.
  • nicklouse

I'm under impression that the 10 speed is slightly wider then 9 speed, but I didn't measure it.

the free bodies are the same so the cassette interface has to be the same. the cassette might actually be a bit wider but not on the body.

as the freebody and cassette are locked togther it can not be the cassette as it has no bearing on the rotation but as i sugested check the lock ring is not catching as it sounds like it is. you dont say which you are using.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • sobol

the free bodies are the same so the cassette interface has to be the same. the cassette might actually be a bit wider but not on the body.

as the freebody and cassette are locked togther it can not be the cassette as it has no bearing on the rotation but as i sugested check the lock ring is not catching as it sounds like it is. you dont say which you are using.

I use the one that came with 10 speed cassette, I use torque wrench to tighten it to listed setting.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try posting some pictures.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    I have Crosslines and have never had any problem swapping cassettes. 8, 9 and 10 speed cassette bodies are all the same width, so the problem is more likely with the hub.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • sobol
    I have Crosslines and have never had any problem swapping cassettes. 8, 9 and 10 speed cassette bodies are all the same width, so the problem is more likely with the hub.

But I have two of those hubs and they both have this same problem, so can't be that?
    I've pasted the link in the starting post with the exact hub that I have.
    Btw, the bike is Beone Moko 160.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
  • nicklouse

I use the one that came with 10 speed cassette, I use torque wrench to tighten it to listed setting.
    and if you use the original one?

what happens if you take the cassette off and then fit the lock ring? same problem?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Id start by figuring out whats the cause - something probably you can only do with the wheel in your hand. is it

a) the cassette is going too far back on the free hub, and binding with the spokes/flanges
    b) the cassette is binding with the hub as the lock ring is the wrong size/depth for the axle?
    c) something else.

Take a good look at everything and see where its good and what may be bad and report back if I were you.

My bet is (a) FWIW. Oh, and 9/10 cassettes aren't the same width :)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • sobol
    @All,

Thanks for all the help!

It turned out to be a problem with locking nut on break rotor side, the one that you need Mavic tool for.

To fix the problem the locking nut has to be at correct position on the axle.
    If you haven't got the tool it can be adjusted by removing freehub and holding axle on freehub side while turning the nut.
    If you do have the tool then the job is easy, the freehub has to fitted and locking nut on, then just use the tool to adjust position while holding locking nut on free hub side.

Too tight and freehub won't spin, to loose and you will have play in the wheel.

mavic.jpg