Please, help me choose the right bike

suspiciouslemon
suspiciouslemon Posts: 13
edited July 2015 in MTB buying advice
I've been constantly looking at reviews for components and bikes and thought I'd finally narrowed it down, but then another bike came in to play.

The original : http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-hoodoo-mountain-bike
The new : http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/13-incline-alpha-27-5-mountain-bike-2015

And now after what seems to be too much time spent, I'm torn between the two. I've test rode both in a very unrealistic environment (Halfords carpark) and the Voodoo felt better, however I know that whilst most of the Incline's components are similar or worse, one shines through which is the fork, a Suntour Radion XC-LO-R air fork to be precise. This beats the Voodoo's by quite some bit, being only a Suntour Raidion XCT*(I think...)

The problem I'm facing is, I will be upgrading the fork (I imagine not for some time though) , so is the fork a massive component, if, whilst one is better than the other, they both seem to be quite mediocre?

Last thing to bear in mind, I am a total beginner to mountain biking and this will be my first proper bike, however I'm pretty serious about hence the vast amounts of time researching possible purchases.

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    The hoodoo uses the Raidon X3 where as I expect the incline alpha uses the Raidon X1 (or what is now the X1). I doubt there's a huge difference apart from one being air sprung and the other coil.
  • "Damping - it has a adjustable hydraulic damping unit. This offers good control. The air makes it adjustable to your weight/riding preferences, then we have stiff 32mm alloy stanchions and a good overall weight. Compare this to a Suntour XCT which is three models below and has no damping, flimsy stanchions, and weighs 700g more." - This from admin Supersonic regarding differences between forks
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Theres going to be a good difference between those forks. Mainly weight, rigidity and damping quality.
    I would have the 13.
  • Antm81
    What he said was right, but that's the XCT he's talking about the hoodoo also uses a Raidon, not an XCT, just it has a coil spring not an air one. Pretty certain it uses the same damper, has the same stanchions, although it is heavier slightly (not 700g in this case as not all that weight is from the spring) and looses the adjustability of the air spring.

You sure there'll be that much difference between them as they are both Raidons, just one is coil sprung and the other air.
  • The way these forks are described on halfords is far too vague, thank you for the info, but are you sure these are the right forks? :?
  • Antm81
    The description for the hoodoo says suntour Raidon. The last version came with the lower X3 model where as the 2012 model had the X1 version which was air. Don't see them upgrading the fork for the latest model so I expect it's still the coil fork. Info on the suntour forks is here, the Raidon no longer uses X1 and X3, just uses coil or air in the title instead now.

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/bike/forks/?Model=%22Raidon%22
  • Thank you very much!
  • CBiscuit
    CBiscuit Posts: 27
    Looking at these two bikes myself as well actually. The 13 has the better fork, the hoodoo has the better brakes. Personally I like the modern looks of the 13s frame (triple butted vs the double butted hoodoos) and seeing as it has the better air sprung fork, and the fact it's cheaper to upgrade the Clarks brakes than it would be upgrading the front fork on the hoodoo... I'd probably go with the 13. What did You end up buying?
  • rockmonkeysc
    triple butted vs the double butted hoodoos

You would never notice the difference
  • CBiscuit
    triple butted vs the double butted hoodoos

You would never notice the difference

Probably not just picking spec from the websites. It's still a touch call both look like nicely set up bikes
  • rockmonkeysc
    The fork on the 13 would definitely decide it for me.
  • CBiscuit
    The fork on the 13 would definitely decide it for me.

The problem with the halfords website is they are very vague on the exact spec of things. Both have shimano drive train to an extent but the 13 says alivio/shimano. Gets confusing. If it was just a matter of the forks then yeah go with the 13 but is the rest better on the hoodoo? Hard to tell exactly. My inexperience is shining through lol. Got myself a rockrider 560 last week for £399 and trying to decide if it's worth getting the 13 or hoodoo instead
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No, the 560 is a better bike than either of those two.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    The problem with the halfords website is they are very vague on the exact spec of things. Both have shimano drive train to an extent but the 13 says alivio/shimano.

How are they vague? From where I'm sitting the site lists every component individually on both the VooDoo and the 13. Not sure what the problem is.

Also, the Rockrider is substantially cheaper, and considerably better than either of the Halfords bikes.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • CBiscuit
    The problem with the halfords website is they are very vague on the exact spec of things. Both have shimano drive train to an extent but the 13 says alivio/shimano.

How are they vague? From where I'm sitting the site lists every component individually on both the VooDoo and the 13. Not sure what the problem is.

Also, the Rockrider is substantially cheaper, and considerably better than either of the Halfords bikes.

I mean it's vague when you consider it doesn't even mention things like the suntours on the 13 being air compared to the suntours on the hoodoo being hydrolic. Just says both have "suntours raidon forks". That's all I was getting at. Unless the desktop site has more than the mobile one
  • The Rookie
    It quite clearly states that the 13 has air forks, are you actually looking at the specs?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CBiscuit
    It quite clearly states that the 13 has air forks, are you actually looking at the specs?

I am now! Only Sussed it when I went on to the desktop site! My bad :oops: have noticed it's down to £419 now if you order online.

It says the 13s air forks don't have adjustable dampening though? And the hydrolic voodoo ones do? Is that a mistake? I can't tell if the other components (besides the forks) are better or worse for each anyway.

Apologies for my inexperience. Been out the cycle game for far too long. Really appreciate the help lads
  • Lungs94
    Lungs94 Posts: 160
    I'd say the Voodoo but I'm bias as I have one, not much help sorry
    Bikes:
    2013 Mondraker Dune XR - XX1 XO1 Hope, Easton Carbon, Fox
    Voodoo Bizango XT - Hope, Pikes, Mavic
  • The Rookie
    All Raidon have adjustable damping AIUI, so just left off the spec I think.