Kuota vs Cube vs Mekk vs......

Cliveyp
Cliveyp Posts: 173
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
Following on from my thread a week or so ago regarding a carbon road bike on c2w, I've paid a few more shops a visit and am starting to get a bit of a pattern together. Essentially, to get what I want (105 11sp minimum, carbon frame) I'm coming round to the thought of adding a bit more to the voucher value - but still don't want to put myself too far in the red so have cut myself off at around £1300.

This has opened up a new world to me, and that is a custom build at a local independent using either a Kuota or one of their own frames....admittedly I'm drawn more towards the Kuota looks so am thinking about that....so;

1- Kuota Kobalt, full 105, Shimano R5 rims, carbon seat post, carbon steerer - £1250 inc full bike fit
2- Cube Agree GTC, could go for a 2014 Ultegra and leave myself with £150 after I've paid the additional 10% 'admin' fee to Winstanleys, obviously no bike fit included
3- Mekk Poggio 2.5 105, but again no fit, just order online and wait for delivery
4- Others, such as the Cannondale Supersix Evo 105 which is sitting towards the top of the budget at £1275 ish depending on where I look.

The Kuota is tempting due to the custom nature of it and having the fit to make sure that it is 100% right for me from the off, which would cut down on then having to do it once I've already shelled out for the bike only having to replace components to suit me, but there are more attractive bikes out there too.....HELP!
2015 Ridley Fenix 105
2012 Cube Ltd SL
2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
2001 Giant Boulder - Sold

Comments

• Cliveyp
    Been doing some further digging and, although the options are all still there until i've seen more in the flesh, the custom build of the Kuota is currently winning it.....I can upgrade the wheels to Fulcrum 5's for £90 on that price too, so at just under £1350 I can get full 105 and Fulcrum 5's on a build to suit me exactly. Can an off-the-shelf bike make the same impact?? Would buying a cheaper (reduced) off-the-shelf bike then upgrading wheels be a better option??
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    It's a bit of a subjective question, your best bet is to try the bikes and see which you like the most. FWIW I have a Kuota and really like it and also had a full retul fit done due to having some comfort issues with my previous bike. I am much more comfortable now than before. Some people are less sensitive to an exact fit and seem to be able to get comfortable on any bike or saddle so a bike fit would be less of an issue.

I rode a Kuota like the one I eventually bought beforehand and it felt good but I would be reluctant to buy any bike now without trying it first.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Cliveyp
    Thanks for your pointers, I appreciate what you're saying. I bought my current Trek after a brief ride, but admittedly didn't really know what I was looking for back then as it was my first 'proper' bike since my teenage years, and my first ever road bike.

Now i'm a bit more clued up I am more likely to know how I feel with a bike whilst on a test ride, and I know that a number of shops offer them, but my difficulty is finding the right bike, in budget, at a place that is likely to offer those test rides.....for one, does anyone know if Leisure Lakes branches are normally open to this? My LBS is certainly happy for it, but they have nothing in stock at my budget, and i've yet to ask the Kuota dealer if they are open to this, but I guess they would be.....
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Just hearsay - but from someone working at a Cube dealers - but getting warranty or spares from Cube in Europe can be a pain.
  • Cliveyp
    Just hearsay - but from someone working at a Cube dealers - but getting warranty or spares from Cube in Europe can be a pain.

I've picked up on comments similar to this on this forum too.....a definite downside.

Without wanting to throw another machine into the mix, i've also found a Scott Foil 20 that is (just about) in budget - dependant on a 10% admin fee for C2W. I'm hoping that someone comes up trumps and doens't charge it, in which case that will probably be the one I order, but until then....
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
  • Cliveyp
    After a lot of googling, viewing and general searching, I've now pinned it down to a choice of two....

1 - Kuota Kobalt - 105, Fulcrum 5's, custom build
    2 - Cannondale Supersix Evo - 105, Fulcrum 5's.

Both are within £50 of one another, the Cannondale is (to me) the better looking bike with great reviews. The Kuota has the benefit of being more of a custom build based on my fit, but I can't find out much about it. Both shops have been very useful in responding to questions, the Kuota dealer in person.

I'm stumped!
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    The Kuota has a 'endurance and comfort geometry' according to the Kuota website. The Cannondale Supersix has a racier more aggressive geometry - Cannondale's bike with a more relaxed geometry is the Synapse.
  • gaanrowl
    gaanrowl Posts: 326
    speaking from experience, cubes warranty as far as frame replacement goes seems no problem, I have had 2 replacement litening frames, both have taken about 4 weeks to be sorted.
  • Cliveyp
    Thanks both. I understand that the geometry is different between the two, which is something that is also splitting my decision. I haven't tried either bike as yet, but don't want to feel that i'm wasting a shops time by test riding both and ending up not purchasing from one of them.....

I have considered the Cube (I have a Cube MTB too, so completing the set would be nice) but seeing the Agree in person on the same day as the Supersix pushes it out for me, it just doesn't switch me on.
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Supersix.