HELP! Cervelo S5 or S-Works Tarmac SL4

Lambanog01
Lambanog01 Posts: 4
edited July 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone,

Hope all is well. I'm new here. I need people's input on what my new bike will be. I'm stuck between the two - Cervelo S5 | S-Works Tarmac SL4. I know that these are two different bikes (S5 being more Aero) and the (S-Works being more of a climbing bike).

A brief background(s) of me that may help you help me decide what bike to get:

- Firstly, I consider myself more of a climber than I am sprinter/time trialist. My previous bike was a Trek Madone 6.9. Back when I was really into cycling, I would average at least over 500 miles a week. I'm weak at straightaways, but I'm working on it. Having this said, I think it would be reasonable here to get the Tarmac over the S5. However, I was thinking, since I'm a strong climber and weak at straightaways, maybe the S5 would benefit me more because it would help me on straightaways. On the contrary, since I'm a strong climber, the Tarmac would help me be a stronger climber than if I were on the S5. So folks, here you can see I can go both ways and why I'm having a hard time deciding.

- Lastly, as I'm more of a cyclist than I am an athlete at any sport, I'm considering on participating in triathlons. Not sure when, but training is in progress. Having this said, I think it would be reasonable here to get the S5 over the Tarmac. It's pretty obvious that the S5 is the Aero bike and most triathlons (bike part)...being Aero is vital.

So with these two background(s), hopefully someone can give me their input and help me decide which bike to get...along with reasons why you think I should get one between the other.

Many thanks.

Cheers!

- Zed

Comments

• de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    think it would be reasonable here to get the Tarmac over the S5. However, I was thinking, since I'm a strong climber and weak at straightaways, maybe the S5 would benefit me more because it would help me on straightaways. On the contrary, since I'm a strong climber, the Tarmac would help me be a stronger climber than if I were on the S5.
    Have you tried either of them out? That should be your next step.
  • rudivoller22
    rudivoller22 Posts: 492
    S5.
  • think it would be reasonable here to get the Tarmac over the S5. However, I was thinking, since I'm a strong climber and weak at straightaways, maybe the S5 would benefit me more because it would help me on straightaways. On the contrary, since I'm a strong climber, the Tarmac would help me be a stronger climber than if I were on the S5.

I haven't. But even I did test them out a my local bike store, it would take more than a test ride to decide which one would be better for my needs.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    think it would be reasonable here to get the Tarmac over the S5. However, I was thinking, since I'm a strong climber and weak at straightaways, maybe the S5 would benefit me more because it would help me on straightaways. On the contrary, since I'm a strong climber, the Tarmac would help me be a stronger climber than if I were on the S5.

I haven't. But even I did test them out a my local bike store, it would take more than a test ride to decide which one would be better for my needs.

You won't know unless you try.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I think the matt black S5 looks fantastic, so I'd go for that
  • rudivoller22
    rudivoller22 Posts: 492
    I've got the S5 do I'm obviously biased but it's a fantastic bike. A lot more comfortable than you'd think and just feels fast. I love it. Have had a Tarmac, Izalco Pro and a few others and in my opinion it's just a much better bike. It also looks great. I'm sure opinions will differ and you probably can't really go wrong with either. But get the S5 you won't regret it.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    New trek madone is the best choice out of those two.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283

So, rather than relying on a test ride to see what you prefer you're going to make your decision based upon
    what people tell you to do? :roll:
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    New trek madone is the best choice out of those two.

This.

Or at least wait until the new Venge, Foil and Madone are available and try those too. Or the Argon18 Nitrogen - I'm really liking the look of that at the moment too.

Serous,y thinking about selling both my Cervelos and getting one of the above.

Not interested in either an S5 or R5 are you?